What did you do with your XS today?

I think I'll should wait until after my provisional motorcycle license and mandatory safety class is completed. Although I haven't made it past 60 yet, I noticed my RPM in 5th gear closely tracks the MPH. So once I do take the training wheels off, what is the top end for these bikes?

I've heard that they topped out around 160km/hr or 100mph... but that could be off (especially if its been in a barn for decade, or if you added some pods and larger jets)

my Seca does about 145 kph, that's 90.

But I guess with a little wind in the back or slightly downhill it could do a little more :)

... But I only have about 3 hours total riding time under my belt. Every time out is still a slightly terrifying adventure. There may still be a thing or two that more experience has yet to teach me.
Don't be in a hurry to test the limits of a machine if it means exceeding your own limits.

I am convinced that for the people who live through their youth, the amount of fear you experience is inversely proportional to the amount of skill you have to deal with a situation. Those who don't have the fear or who think it's macho to push through it usually die.

You are lucky to have the balanced relationship. If you are under 26 years old, it is rare - modern brain mapping studies show that the area of the human male's brain which is responsible for risk assessment and decision making has barely any synapses firing until we are in our mid-twenties. The trick is to survive youth - until you have a whole brain working for you.
As your skill goes up the fear goes down :thumbsup: so simply listen to that little inner voice and practice lots of skill manouvers at lower speeds. That way, cruising at 60 becomes a calming, relaxing leisure activity. You don't want to be telling the story of hitting the century mark from an I.C.U.

According to the experts from the riding bible Twist Of The Wrist (check it out, there's a book and dvd I think most of it is on youtube), you can only acquire skills when riding at 80% of your capabilities. So don't push yourself too hard!

Also check out the tips&tricks section at the bottom of this how-to

A very good point. 80% sounds right. At 100% all a learner is thinking about is not falling.

The same is true for riding well below 80%. I occasionally run into someone who started out on a litre bike when I bought my 250 single 2 falls ago. He enjoys cruising around at 55 - 60, but still rides like a beginner in the parking lot, going downhill into a corner or accelerating up a hill into a corner. After 2 years, he doesn't have the skills yet since, other than when cruising on a straight flat road, all his attention and focus is on avoiding falling, not on riding.

I totally agree,Its been one year and a little more since I started riding.My fear limit has dropped to the poit I feel relaxed and confortable at 65mph for an extended period of time as long as Im on a 2 lane hyway.I have not conquered the fear of riding on the interstate and I may never be comfortable.Semi`s scare the crap out of me.

Today I learned that my battery had a dead cell, i took it in and the store kindly gave me a brand new one at now charge since the PO purchased this one back in May. As it turns out the dead cell was causing the battery to drop immediately to 10v and had no cranking amps.

All of this explains why the bike pretty much never started with the starter lol

That's a hard one to diagnose from here. Good job.

I have post pics if my head on 2cylinders to 1, thread, let me know if its really bad or not. I suspect its not that bad.

Now back to the thread of "ready for Top End Rebuild"

Yeah, that sounds about right.. the highest i can legal travel on any highway in my area is 100km/hr (62mph) anyway, 120 to push it, after that its big ticket and points territory... So I will never get close to the 90MPH/145km/hr my bike tops at anyway lol

I imagine feeling worried approaching 80km/hr at least for the first little while. This bike is very much a city/back roads machine.

I had a nearly new battery "lose" a cell this year and got a new replacement under warranty. While I was figuring out the problem, I took readings on the battery. Maybe they will be of use to anyone trying to diagnose their starting issues.

[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]With the good replacement battery, idling @ 2,100+, voltage across the battery terminals was 14.70.

[/FONT][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]The bad battery, read a voltage of just under 14. But immediately after, 12.6.
An hour later, 11.7, and the next morning, after sitting all night it read 10.71.
Over the next couple of days it declined only slightly further to 10.53. Having reached that mark, it was able to hold that reading.

What could the battery do at 10.53? SBA - made the dash lights go on but the starter didn't even make a noise, never mind turn over. The replacement battery, read 12.7 the next day and cranked the engine like nothing. [/FONT]

That's exactly what my battery did Lou. It had a dead cell and would hold around 10. When I looked at it I could see the white cell while all the other black (my case was clear so it was very noticeable)

Posted via Mobile

It's not so much the police, they are just the enforcers. It is the politicians trying to make lots of $ and get headlines. 50kph over the posted limit is automatic vehicle impounding (with all the fees involved in that), license suspension, huge fines, a day in court, and newspaper headlines.

Despite numerous taxpayer funded studies which have proven that higher speed limits on highways are safer than slower...

well here in NL they recently upped the speed limit from 120 to 130 (kph). Nobody really seems to give a sh*t though, since it's only a handful of freeways that actually have that speed limit. And it cost them about 2 years of debates and about 1.6 billion euros... :wtf:

but on the bright side I don't have to go to Germany to test my top speed :laugh:

I live out in the country and there is a 4 mile or so straight flat road where people like to max out their bikes. 4 years ago I had my 79 up to 97mph at 8800rpm's and this summer I had my 80 at 95 ( what my friends gps said because the speedo pegs at 85). The 80 was Still pulling but a car came into the road :doh:

Back