What tires should I get?

ksqrly

XS400 Aficionado
Reaction score
Hey everyone I have an 82 seca dohc. It has 18" rims front and back. I kind of want a white wall tire, because it would look killer on my build, but more than anything I care about performance. I have read a few posts about tires, but just want to hear more.

I will probably ride this bike faster than I should, so I want something with a good speed rating. not sure 110 will cut it. I know I know its dangerous, but thats why Im building this thing, to get a little adrenalin rush flying down the local canyon roads.

So what do you recommend?

Speed rating does not mean the particular tire is necessarily better in terms of grip; it has more to do with the tire's ability to shed heat.

An xs400 probably can't exceed 110 mph, so speed rating will never hold you back. As an fyi you can exceed the max speed rating for a tire safely... for brief periods of time.

I recommend Kenda Challengers; I'm quite good at cornering and they have yet to hold me back in any way. These tires also happen to be pretty cheap and are friendly on the street.

Tires with better grip tend to wear out faster and withstand fewer heat cycles. Compounds designed for racing tend to require more heat; if you're not fast enough in the corners you'll actually have less grip than with a street tire and be at much greater risk for a crash.

Thanks for the input bcware. I just wasnt sure about speed rating, but now I know.

Charles this is not my first bike. I had a dirtbike from the time I was tot until I graduated high school. Junior year in high school I bought a honda shadow 750 ace (awesome bike). I also used to race snowmachines for ski-doo.

Just type make and model into Amazon search bar. They come up with about 30 different sellers

Posted via Mobile

The Kenda Challenger tire is a good riding and handling tire, won't last long but theydon't cost much. Most any tire in the $75 to $100 each range will work well.
I like the Pirelli MT66, the Bridgestone Spitfie II. On the Harley I run The stock Dunlop D401's.
When I buy tires I go to Ebay, punch in the brand, model and size of tire I want. When the list shows up I click on the price, lowest to highest with S&H. buy the least expencive on the list as long as they are fresh new tires. No used.
Leo

I got about 8,000 miles of hard riding out of the rear Kenda Challenger, but I've done quite a bit of weight reduction.

I think I will try the challenger. They are pretty cheap, and everyone seems to have good things to say. So my next question is, does anyone on here run a 130 on a dohc model? I would like the look of the wider tire in the rear, but I have read mixed posts. Some saying a 130 will fit, and others say they won't. Any help?

I dont think I am going to use the chain guard, but Im not sure yet. I painted thinking I would use it but not sure if I will. I guess will go for the challenger 130/90/18 in the rear, and I guess 100/90/18 in front.

Does anyone have any idea what stock is on the front wheel?
I might want to go just a bit wider and taller. Not sure how tall I can go because I think I am going to keep the front fender. Any light?

The older models like my '78 have a narrower swing-arm that won't allow the wider 130 (even a 120 rubs the chain guard depending on the particular tire profile). In around '81 a wider swing-arm was used with grease fittings. The maxim and seca are different; I don't know a damn thing about fitment on them.

Thanks for the input bc. Im sure that will help some people. I think ill try the 130 on the back. Does anyone know if I can go taller and wider on the front?

I think the Seca's 18" rear wheel is narrower than the 16" used on the Maxim, so the tire width was one size narrower on the Seca (from the factory at least). 120/90/18.

Even though the Seca's front wheel is smaller than the Maxim's (18" -vs- 19"), the tire widths were the same. 120/90/18.

What are you trying to achieve? A larger rolling diameter, or just a taller look viewed from the side? You might be able to get both by increasing the aspect ratio from 90 to 100 and leaving the width at 120.

I'm with BW, chain oil on me isn't cool. And without a chain guard any spray or dirt off the rear tire will have increased access to the chain. Which will require more frequent lubrication. Which will result in more oil spray. But to each their own.

Remember that any changes to the diameter of the front wheel will change the accuracy of the speedometer. Also keep in mind that wide tires on narrow rims may look nifty, but they don't handle well and may even unseat or leak from the beads if run tubeless.

Going 1 size up in width in the front and rear got me the look I was going for (tight fitting front fender and a "motorcycle" look as opposed to bicycle tires). Handling actually improved; the slightly wider tires curl more and the profile becomes rounder; the motorcycle leans over a bit easier and has more grip on the shoulders of the tire. The smaller tires tended to have a flatter profile more suitable for commuting. Certainly there are large diminishing returns when one goes larger than a size up (10mm wider).

Ok I went and found the sizes of the tires on my bike and came up with some realy odd numbers
Rear is 120/90/16 and front is 90/90/18
Can somebody explain to me what these numbers mean?
Im ass uming the 1st #`s mean height and 2cnd is width and the last is rim size.Is this correct?
Also can I go up to 130 on the rear and what are the pro`s and con`s.Thanks Aaron.
Oh also I dont have a motorcycle jack or tire changer but providing I can somehow get the jack how do I remove the rim and tire from the bike ,then can I take the tire and rim to tireshop to have it mounted and balanced?

Back