What would I need to change on this diagram.

S3Rider

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking to make a kick only bare bones hardtail chopper. Found a simplified diagram online and was wondering what all of you guys who have experience doing this see as a problem. In making it just a kick only can I just remove the section to the starter. Or will I need to make some sort of bypass for it. Im new to this esp the electrical end of things so please be easy on me.

Custom_Motorcycle_Wiring_Diagram_by_Evan_Fell.png

Oh yeah here is the bike as it sat a few days ago. Yes I hacked off the back end so that my former girlfriend couldnt tell me to get rid of it.

Bikebefore.jpg

Looks like the one i used. You can take out starter button and starter circut no problem. I am running only one fuse in my system a 15 amp i think. I went to a small battery from batterys plus also.

Did you take the starter motor out completely? Just read your build thread what size of freeze plug did you use and are those tough to put in?

Last edited:
Based on the diagram it doesn't look as though your brake light would ever come on if your headlights are off. I think the brake switch should be powered when the ignition switch is on and the headlight powered only when the headlight switch is closed. Other than that it looks good.

Hey S3rider. Yep starter completely out you have to take out the chain and whatnot on the drive side of starter. Dont remember the size around 2 inches i think . I bought a couple different sizes.They just tap in with a hammer and a socket to fill the cup to make it drive even. I got to get junk out of shop today ill see if i can see size. Looking at that wiring that headlight on off switch is not allowed in virginia my headlight and rear marker get energized when i power the system up. I see what mith is looking at .

Cant see the size of freeze plug unless i take alternator cover off but i do believe 2 inches plus minus a 1/4 inch one way or other will get you there

Thanks Fang I dont know where I read it but when I searched it I am pretty sure its a 1.83 Freeze Plug that fits with a little "finesse". Has anyone used the former hole to hide any wiring. I am looking at a gaping hole in the top of my case wondering what I could stuff in there.

I wasnt planning on putting that switch in the line with them and the way that I am reading the diagram minus that switch the light and tail light will both turn on when the key is in the on position.

The V regulator is run on the same line as the rectifier correct. Trying to read these original wiring diagrams gives me a headache.

From what I have read its a bit more involved than just swapping the battery out for a capacitor. Damn Yamaha didnt think ahead.

Back