White Wires from generator

smurfy71

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey folks, I am starting to assemble an 82 Seca 400 and have hit my first roadblock. The 3 white wires coming off the generator, I know they go to the wire harness with the other 3 white wires, but some moron removed the harness from the 3 coming from the generator. Does it matter which white wire connects to which? I'm not sure I could determine which is which if it does matter.

nope. Its all AC at that point of the wiring. Find the manual, and check the continutie/resistance. make sure its with in norms.

In the headlight bucket find the wires that come down from the key switch. Unplug it. On the harness side, the red wire is power from the battery, brown is power out to most of the bike.
Make a jumper wire that will plug into the red and brown wires. This will let you run the bike.
Depending on your bike there may be more wires from the switch. Blue or maybe blue/yellow. this runs to part of the lighting, often just the tail light.
Leo

Thanks. I removed the key switch yesterday, only the 3 wire set up. Didn't want to jump the wrong ones. Hopefully this afternoon I will be able to see if this will turn over or not. Fingers crossed.

Need to derust the gas tank and clean the carbs too before I go too much further.

Got the wiring sorted out and put some gas in the cylinders, she fired up! Now to start working on finding the missing parts.

Here is a picture of how I found it.

Attachments

• seca2.jpg
    seca2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Pulled the carbs off. 10 years of sludge! Couldn't get the one pilot jet out. Looks like the PO stripped the head. Got it as clean as I could. Blew air thru it. Hope that is enough.

Back