WTF! I hate electricity!

Robsteeler66

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So I had this problem. Dead battery...So I bought a new one.

I decided to try the starter and see if it would now turn over...Nothing. :shrug:

I then tried the lights, horn, signals...Nothing. :wtf:

Checked out the fuse box...I'm no expert, but this looks wrong...

Besides the obvious, I see what looks like a splice in the corner...

:banghead: Anyone have a next step? I'm going mental! :mad:

+1 on the blade fuse box upgrade.

One of the best upgrades you can do for the electrics and cheap. Soldering beats the old crimping method hands down. Your bikes electrics will be so much more reliable and rock solid. When you think about your whole bikes electrics revolve around the fuse box so its pretty important to have good connections there.

I put in a cheap 4 blade mini box and its like a new bike now :) Heres the one I put in, really easy to find a mounting spot for it cause its so small. And you will find these on the shelf at your local auto parts store pretty cheap. Heres one on ebay exactly the same as I got:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Way-Mi...46?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a1badda92

Thanks guys. I was leaning toward the copies, because they come with the plug in harness. I've never tried soldering before. I guess I could watch it few times on youtube or something. It really makes a difference going from the glass fuses?

Soldering just tales a steady hand,good eyes and heat up the surface you plan to solder.Get you solder on the tip of the gun and get it to flow down around the tip of the wrire that you are soldering.Just pratice in soldering some wires together till you get the hang of it.

Yeah soldering is easy, and yes it makes a huge difference going to the blades they are just a lot more of a snug fit. I guess that's why nothing modern really uses the old glass ones anymore. But if you go with the copy you keep the original look and it will work fine. But the blades are more of an upgrade as such. I personally wouldn't bother with the old style fuse box but im not going for the original look.

Sweet! Btw I had a lot of little niggling electrical problems like you but after I installed the new fusebox ALL my electrics are working perfectly :)

I just need to change my tires and oil and get a new brake lever and I'm ready to roll! I'll upgrade down the road. I want to get some seat time in first!

Replacing the fusebox can also be done with crimp-on spade connectors. Those things sticking out the sides are standard spades.

Mainly, the problem with the old ones is that the metal of the clips gets brittle and they lose the springiness, and so contact is bad. Sometimes they fall apart completely.

That's what's happening with mine. The clips are falling apart. I'll have to google crimp on spade connectors. I'm a complete newb when it comes to elekstricities...

True story... My whole restore came from me purchasing the my bike cheap as it needed a fuse panel overhaul. I should have just changed that fuse and rode away. Perfection breeds procrastination!

Timmy, I'm not following what you're trying to say. Are you saying you had big problems with your bike, or are you saying replacing the fuse box is good or bad?

The fusebox I used takes blade fuses and mounts using stock screws. Fuses are available at any gas station, unlike the glass ones.

I've seen those on ebay. I would like to do this but I'm worried that there may be underlying problems which could be why the PO took out a fuse circuit and spliced the wires together. I would hate to mess up the entire bike. Maybe I should leave it alone for a while and work up to that!

Returning a bike to stock configuration is never a mistake. The PO, at best, put a band-aid on. If there is an underlying problem, find it and fix it. More likely, when the original fuse holders started to get loose and there was an intermittent loss of power though that circuit, he "fixed" it by eliminating the fuse. That's not a repair. It's idiocy in action.

It's amusing that a bunch of self-taught riders believe that their engineering is superior to the well-educated Japanese men who designed these bikes. If you replace the fuse box with blades, that fine, but you are making it work as originally intended. Most of these bikes, people would be amazed if they worked like they did new and in stock condition.

Most "modifications" that are not strictly aesthetic are ill-conceived and more likely to make the bike less reliable.

Back