WTF! Still leaking oil? Little Help

Tucker8541

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 77' XS400, I had a slow leak from my left crankcase at the bottom. I purchased a new OEM gasket, oil filter, oil, sat down had a beer and was determine to fix it. After figuring out how to pull the cover, I had noticed a couple of things.

1. There wasn't a OEM filter on the cover but a black silicone type sealant.
2. The alternator wires run through the crankcase. (I'll get back to that later)

I thought pulling off the "Wanna be" gasket and replacing it with an OEM would be the culprit of the oil leak. So I cleaned the case removing the sealant gasket and used the new OEM gasket (Used the gasket alone without a copper type sealant). Tightened all the bolts, changed the oil and filter, left it sit over night to find a puddle of oil under her.

Of course the black silicone gasket I found was to try to fix the oil leak? Would the alternator wires that runs through the crankcase or the rubber boot be the cause? The rubber boot looked to be in good shape.

Anyone else have this problem? Could I use a rubber sealant to try to seal the leak? Could use a hand, thanks.

On my 77' XS400, I had a slow leak from my left crankcase at the bottom. I purchased a new OEM gasket, oil filter, oil, sat down had a beer and was determine to fix it. After figuring out how to pull the cover, I had noticed a couple of things.

1. There wasn't a OEM filter on the cover but a black silicone type sealant.

Filter, on the left side crankcase?

2. The alternator wires run through the crankcase. (I'll get back to that later)

there is a rubber seal there, but it doesn't have to do that much

I thought pulling off the "Wanna be" gasket and replacing it with an OEM would be the culprit of the oil leak. So I cleaned the case removing the sealant gasket and used the new OEM gasket (Used the gasket alone without a copper type sealant). Tightened all the bolts, changed the oil and filter, left it sit over night to find a puddle of oil under her.

from the oil filter or left crankcase cover

Of course the black silicone gasket I found was to try to fix the oil leak? Would the alternator wires that runs through the crankcase or the rubber boot be the cause? The rubber boot looked to be in good shape.

Anyone else have this problem? Could I use a rubber sealant to try to seal the leak? Could use a hand, thanks.

I doubt the wires would be an issue as there's not a great deal of oil, but it does get splashed around a bit

You might want to take a big breath,forget the beer until finished,and assess,describe the problem. On such gasket,I use gasgacinch to stick the gasket to one side so it stays in place,or you can use super-tack permatech sealant or that type stuff. Silicon is not the best sealant as it oozes out into the motor. Look for gouges in the aluminum surface that will allow leaks.Some people use silicon to seal a badly "cleaned"surface,instead of repairing with J.B. weld or an aluminum repair compound,which can be applied to reshape the part.Look at a manual and describe the problem instead of saying"on the left side",but tell someone the exact part involved. lha

-I replaced Gasket #1L9-15461-10-00 on the left side of bike.
-Drewpy-I figured to change oil and filter while the crankcase was coming off (Doesn't mean the left side of the bike has an oil filter). Oil filter, front on motor.
-Ohaolpa-Beer makes things bareable!
-The crankcase (#1L9-15411-11-00) looked very good, no scuff's or gouges in the aluminum .

May go back and try a gasgacinch on one side of the gasket to help.

ya need to see pics to get an idea what is going on. I still have a small drip a night leak that I haven't figured out that drove me nuts.. It will make you go crazy

The prob with posting pic's is that I can show you pic of the leak from the outside? How is that going to help? I wanted advice to what I can try or what you guys have tried in the past and worked. I didn't take pic's while I changed the gasket. Don't want to open it back up, dump oil on the ground, post pic's and wait for an answere or advice.

So, will adding a super tach sealant to one side of the gasket help? Still affraid the rubber boot where the wires come out of the Crankcase is the prob. Can't see how that rubber boot keeps oil from leaking?

I think this is what you are having issue with. If is in very bad shape I don't this it is a part you can buy (the rubber bit) but to replace to alt. winding with a good one. Maybe some yamabond or quick steal would stop it:shrug:

Last edited:
I've seen goo around the rubber seal before, so its not uncommon.
try a flat edge around both surfaces to check for warpage. only goo will cure that.

XSChris, that is exactly the boot I was talking about. Had some extra sealant in the area and seems to have a leak from the area the boot is. I will check for worepage and add some sealant in the area. The boot looked to be in really good shape, suprized a leak would come from there. But again...

If that is what you guys have done in the past (add extra Sealant), willing to try. Thanks for the quick help.

Back