XS360 Restoration

robertmcw

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have been a lurker a while. I live in the Houston area. I have a 1976 XS3600 that I bought in 1977 from my cousin Jimmy because he didn’t like it because it was too small. I rode that bike all the place and I used it use it to get it there and to it get it back to go to college and do errands. I finished college in 1983. In 1984 I had a chance to go law school but I had to move to Oklahoma and I put in storage for three years. I finished law school in December 1987. I got out of storage and the bike won’t start because I forgot to clean out the gas. I found a second XS360 in early 1988 and it has electric start and a front disk that would work and I switched some the parts from Jimmy’s bike to the bike I use today. I have over 25,000 miles on it and I use Pennzoil 30 SAE oil and change the filter and the oil every year or each 1,000 miles, which either is less. It starts every time and it doesn’t use any oil and I am very happy with it.

I want a stock bike, not a café bike. I have bought most of the parts to change it will look like in the attachmant (including the decals).

Now the questions are (1) what is the color code and (2) – can I make my bike into and XS400 engine using my XS360 motor? Can I just bore the jugs and get new pistons and re-jet the carbs? What other mods would you do?

Thanks, Robert

Attachments

• 8a51_1_b[1].jpg
    8a51_1_b[1].jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 248
Welcome to the Forum! I can't help you with your technical questions but others will chime in. Glad you are restoring your bike. I like to see some neat old originals kept that way.

Not being familiar with the XS360 motor, a question i would ask - for others who know - is there really that much difference in performance? Why not keep it as a 360 if you are really restoring the bike?

I believe the cilinders from a 400 fit on a 360 block. However I wouldn't make the effort, you will probably notice a difference but keeping money and time in the equation it will not be worth it I belive.

Back