xs360 seat trimming

nbriles2000

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was wondering if anybody has trimmed down the seat and recovered the stock seat on an xs360. Mine is way too big and bulky and I don't think I have the time or resources to make a whole new seat pan just yet. If anyone has any pictures of such a thing or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

hey buddy, I reskinned mine with vinyl, cut off the original seat pattern.

After looking at a lot of options, my cafe seat is going to be made out of light weight, strong, and easy to use FIBERGLASS.

Found a leather loveseat curbside the other night outside a bar so the leather is now accounted for. Now it's just design.

as for cutting down the existing, the method I've seen on Instructables if you don't have a heated foam cutting wire knife IS........a long bread knife. For real.

I'd remove the old skin, get vinyl at the fabric store, and make a mock up of what you want. The Vinyl will settle and you'll end up with a more accurate template after a few weeks in the sun. You'll also see where the stress wrinkles are going to form and where you'll need reinforcement.

WARNING!!

heat the metal fangs the seat is stretched over before bending them or they will snap off and you'll have NUTHIN to hook your seat over. Keep all those little pressure tabs that press down over the ribbed shafts, To remove them bend them more like a bow, to re seat them press them flat.

There's a dude in the UK that sells fanged strips you rivet into place to make stretching a new leather/vinyl seat cover easier. I cannot find anything similar so I may have to stretch, then glue with clamps and then drill and rivet...

by the way, take pics. I'm doing the same with my new seat build.

There's a dude in the UK that sells fanged strips you rivet into place to make stretching a new leather/vinyl seat cover easier. I cannot find anything similar so I may have to stretch, then glue with clamps and then drill and rivet...

by the way, take pics. I'm doing the same with my new seat build.

use cut down carpet grips, similar to this

CANEX%20Aluminum%20Carpet%20Tack%20Strips.JPG
:D

You cheeky bastard! :)
For some provincial reason, our carpet runners are still made of strips of balsa with tacks pushed through. I WISH I was kidding. If those are for sale stateside theyll be at an upholsterers and marked up. No idea why the US uses the old fashioned ones.

But to be fair, Southern California favors hardwood floors.

that helps though. It appears they're called "Z bars"

we still have the wood efforts, I just thought you didn't have carpets.

My family in Italy only have marble floors due to the warm weather. :bike:

No, crummy apartments in Los Angeles all have THE SAME white walls and the SAME dark gray carpet...ugh.

I do notice that for whatever reason, the metal jobs are sold in Pounds, must be manufactured out of the UK?

Back