XS400 DOHC Front Sprocket

dodger0129

amatuer/enthusiast builde
Reaction score
I have just bought a new front sprocket for my XS400 DOHC.
I fitted it,with a new retaining clip and new bolts and all looked fine,then i noticed there was a small amount of play when holding the sprocket each side and wiggling.:confused:
I have checked everything is seated properly,and fitted and re-fitted it several times with the same result.:mad:
The engine came minus the front sprocket,so I don't know if it had this problem before.:banghead:
I'm wondering if there should be a shim that I don't have,or if not,can I make one to solve the problem??
Any help would be much appreciated :thumbsup:
cheers
Roger

There should be a little bit of play. It helps the sprocket line up with the chain if it is slightly out of alignment. Have you inspected the counter shaft splines for wear? Did you buy a brand name sprocket, or a cheap one?

Are JT Sprockets sold through amazon considered "cheap"? They're normally $18-$20, but I got a returned one like new for $9.

If it's a bad brand I wouldn't mind knowing so I steer clear when shopping for the rear sprocket.

I have used JT sprockets before with no issues. Just don't get used sprockets!!

Here's the sprocket I put on last year, over 10,000 miles ago. First rate part as far as I can tell. There was a small amount of play on both the old 16T and the new one.

The sprocket itself had a spacer on one side (not separate but a ridge - part of the sprocket) for proper centring - so it was important to put it on the right way. As long as yours has this it will be fine.

Attachments

• Front sprocket, new 17T.JPG
    Front sprocket, new 17T.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 179
Cheers fella's.....
It's a SUNSTAR sprocket,(new),which i'm lead to believe a lot of the manufacturers use on their machines?
I'll double check to see if there's a ridge on the sprocket for centering.
There's not loads of play,so it probably is ok.....just wanted to sound out some other opinions:wink2:
Always loads of help and advice on here :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back