XS400 winter bobber project and new to forum PICS ADDED!

bcbobbers

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all I am new to the xs400 forum and was thrilled to find the site. I have already read many of the threads and have already learned a lot more about my bike.

Anyways I just recently purchased a 1981 xs400 in running condition for $200:D. My friend has an xs850 and we are both bobbering them out in my garage over the winter. So far I have bought some black drag bars, new oem grips (I like the look of these), a new chrome headlight with a visor.

As of deconstruction I have so far removed the rear fender, tail light, headlight, front and rear turn signals, the horn, the middle stand, seat, and some other accessories and parts like the side covers. I also chopped the rear frame about a half foot all the way up to the springs. Pictures will be up as soon as I get off work...

I have a black solo seat that I made and just recently got that on. I will soon take off the air boxes and replacing the filters with pods and thinking of replacing the mufflers with glasspacks and wrap em with black exhaust wrap.

Sorry so long, but what you guys think and hey to all xs400 members as I am new to the forum.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSCN0256.jpg
    DSCN0256.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 361
  • DSCN0258.jpg
    DSCN0258.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 330
  • DSCN0255.jpg
    DSCN0255.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 347
  • DSCN0257.jpg
    DSCN0257.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 307
  • DSCN0259.jpg
    DSCN0259.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 339
  • DSCN0260.jpg
    DSCN0260.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 302
  • DSCN0261.jpg
    DSCN0261.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Welcome to the forums!!! Sounds like you are off to a good start. Are you getting the hardtail somewhere or are you going to fabricate it yourself?

I think I will be fabbing it myself, but I think I might wait till next winter to do that. So softail for one year will be nice on the rear. I want to get the tank rear fender that I will add soon by the end of the winter and don't think I will have time to do the frame until the next winter (I am a full time college student, and work full-time at a GM dealership). So my spare time is limited.

I just won't have the time to remove the engine fab the hardtail and get the frame repainted and all put back together by spring. Thus I will at least be able to ride once the weather turns as it is freezing up in North Dakota.

I forgot to mention I also removed the front fender and won't replace that one. I will try and get some picture up tonight of the bike from beginning to how she sits now in deconstruction stage.

Hey bcbobber, I like the softail look u got so far! What size of seat pan did you use to make your pan.

Back