front tire facing left, handlebars straight

ccountryguyy

GOT R DID
Reaction score
hi i have a 1983 xs400 just bought it from a friend of mine he let his wifes cousin borrow it and some drunkard backed over it :doh: anyway he got a new bike and sold it to me for cheap does'nt need a whole lot fixed everything else now just have to figure out the forks with the handlebars staright the tire is facing slightly left. forks do not look bent. somebody said if there not bent they just might be a little bit twisted and that i could loosen up the triple tree clamps and readjust? does anyone know if this is true. dont have front tire on right now so i cant accurately check it any help would be nice. thanks.

I would check the trees where the fork tubes go in first. Any pics of the bike? This could help a lot.:wink2:

Yes you can get everything straight again assuming nothing is bent. I've done it to several bikes that have been tipped over or laid down. Get the front in the air and loosen the triple trees. You might loosen up the axle too. Straighten the wheel to the bars and tighten everything back up. If it's still crooked when you're done, check to make sure one of the triple trees isn't bent. For that you'll have to pull the front end apart and check the triples on a flat surface.

This sound exactly like the problem I am having. I've included a picture. The only way I have been able to straighten it out so far is to torque the bars hard to the left and have my buddy tighten everything down. We were worried about the amount of torque/strain this was putting on the triple trees & tubes. We went to remove the front axle to reseat the tire - a whole different story - and the tubes just sprung back out of true. I don't think that can be right. I plan to disassemble the front end and check the triple trees, both for horizonal and verticle warping. I also plan to check the tubes again to see if they are torqued or twisted. Is there anything else I should be checking?

full

Try putting the front fender on first then the trees and last the wheel.

Back