Just bought my first project bike!!

scotty

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Just bought my first project bike. It is a 1984 XS400L Maxim. Little thing is in pretty rough shape as it was exposed to the elements for a few years. Hoping to do a softtailed bobber of sorts. Just started stripping it down tonight. After removing fenders turn signals crash bars and seat the project is looking up. Going to give it a good cleaning on the weekend and then we will see what I have to work with.

Wish me luck!:D

was gonna say beam me up scotty then this happened.

dont-beam-me-up-scotty-im-taking-a-shit2.jpg

welcome to the forum. there is a cool dohc special I posted on here somewhere.

Thanks all. have the bike stripped down, engine cleaned. Oil leak repaired rear shorted and rear fender installed. Pics tomorrow. Looking for a tank. Any suggestions? This bike has the large backbone and seems like finding a tank may be difficult to find. Does anyone know what fits a 1984 xs400L Maxim?

Thanks

Our bikes have a porky backbone - you'll have trouble finding other tanks that will fit without modifications.

You can always try to use the Maxim tank, and make it look something like this:

_H3I13244_FIN.jpg

Have been working on it for a few weeks now. Found a tank that fits as I hated the stock one that came with the bike. The po put reflective tape all over it and it just would not come off with anything short of a sandblaster! ot This was a pick the first night I had it and forgot to turn the flash off. IMG_0406.JPG

I got the exhaust form a friend that was changing his on his 650 XVS. Just had to fab a bracket and they fit fine.

Have put a new hoop on the back and installed fender and new large tank from a Harley that only cost $40.00 CHEAP!!! It was even creamed so no need to do so. Have gas caps and petcock ordered for it. In the meantime, going to start making some side covers for it.

Here are some pics of what I have done.
bike left new tank.jpg
IMG_0407.JPG
IMG_0408.JPG
IMG_0409.JPG
IMG_0418.JPG

:)

Last edited:
I'm really digg'n that exhaust. I'm finishing up a cafe build on my son's 1980 SOHC XS400 and am looking for an easy upgrade of the exhaust that rises more steeply in the back like what you have pictured. Are they stock exhaust and mufflers? Anyone know if they would fit a 80 XS400 without major surgery?

The exhaust are aftermarket slip ons that were on a Vstar they just clamp on. I welded mine on as I am going to wrap the exhaust from the joint up so I thought a weld would be a little stronger for the long term.

Well It has been awhile and the bike is finally finished. Been lots of sweat, some tears and many times doing the same thing over because of a changed mind or it didnt work the way I wanted it to. Here are some pics of the finished product. Hope you like it.

Attachments

• Copy of 010.JPG
    Copy of 010.JPG
    292 KB · Views: 261
  • Copy of 009.JPG
    Copy of 009.JPG
    290.6 KB · Views: 260
  • Copy of 008.JPG
    Copy of 008.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 256
  • Copy of 007.JPG
    Copy of 007.JPG
    281.5 KB · Views: 291
  • Copy of 006.JPG
    Copy of 006.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 297
Got it up out of the basement today. Had a had time getting it started. Found a burnt wire. repaired that and fired right up. Clutch work tomorrow. it seems to always be engaged. Oh well. Getting closer to being on the road! Just the clutch work, a couple of baffels to be installed and the foot brake switch needs to be repaired.

Attachments

• outside.jpg
    outside.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 283
Had it out on its first run today! Worked good. Had a few gremlins to work out. Done and put a few miles on. Now to tackle an oil leak and all should be done.

Back