16 to 18 drum

beatup86

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey all, so I've searched and couldn't find what I was looking for exactly, if its been covered please just point me in the right direction. So I have a 82 xs400 special, front single disc, rear 16 inch drum, both mags. My question is, will a 18 inch mag rim work with my current setup? Will the swing arm work? Is there an easy drum rear rim to find that will work? Just trying to get an 18 inch on the rear for my cafe project. Thanks for the help guys and gals.

All 18" rear alloy wheels are disk, so switching to a rear 18" alloy would involve a different swingarm and welding the mount for the rear master cylinder. If there is an 18" drum wheel that will work, it will have to come off of something other than an XS400.

Last edited:
im not opposed to going disc brakes in the rear at all. it just seemed easier cause i dont know EVERYTHING i need for it. i know i need a swing arm and rim and caliper and master cylinder, and maybe thats all but i dunno lol. but if thats what i gotta do then schweet!! i guess i gotta look for a swingarm. does anyone have a pic of the drum swingarm vs the disc swingarm? just for my own comparison purposes while i shop?

... So I have a 82 xs400 special, front single disc, rear 16 inch drum, both mags. My question is, will a 18 inch mag rim work with my current setup?
The dohc Seca had 18" alloy wheels front and back. The rear wheel was drum brake. Can't tell you if they are interchangeable with the sohc in terms of mounting though.
But, the cast spokes are quite different on the Seca, so if you wanted a matched pair you'd need to use both front and back.

Attachments

• seca.jpg
    seca.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 285
006-2.jpg

don't forget the brake pedal. I have everything needed for your conversion minus the wheel. If interested, PM your addy to work out the shipping cost:wink2:

Back