1978 Oil Leak: Valve Cover or Tach Seal?

bcware

Well-read
Top Contributor
Reaction score
There was some oil on the engine and I am trying to make sure I know where it is coming from. The tach oil seal is definitely leaking, but I also found oil on the fins near the points cover and on the bottom of the points cover itself. Could this simply be run-off from the tach oil seal leak dripping down the left side due to the bike being on its side stand? The manual says there is no gasket on the valve cover, so I don't think it would be fruitful to pull it off.

Attachments

• oil1.jpg
    oil1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 737
  • oil2.jpg
    oil2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 513
it is hard to tell in those pics. When i run into an issue like this i simply replace what i know is leaking, clean up the spillage really good, then after running the engine a while go back over it and see if there is any other leaks. :thumbsup:

That is a good plan. The oil is hard to see, so I added those arrows to indicate where most of it was found. A seal kit is definitely on the list. My push rod seal was leaking so bad I had a half-inch thick layer of grease and dirt lining the entire sprocket cover. Eww! It took me a few hours to completely remove it all :)

My barn bike right now seems clean enough but i haven't been able to start it or run it yet to see if there are any leaks. just by looking at it i haven't noticed anything as it sits but its been sitting for quite a few years from what i understand. (last titled and registered in 1989).

I think I would replace that tach seal first aswell should be rather easy. I know its a tiny seal, can probably walk into any bearing shop and grab it I'm sure it would be a breeze to pop in.

I'm curious do most people here order their seals from the bike suppliers (bike barn etc.)? I find I can walk into a bearing shop or "rubberline" (not sure if they are outside canada) and walk out with a seal for a buck or two.

Both engines I have are totally caked behind the sproket cover aswell, gotta start cleaning some time this week before I put the engine in the frame.

I have actually never seen a local bearing shop around here, but maybe they stick to industrial areas and I simply don't see them. There are seal kits available and they can be bought from oem parts suppliers, but they aren't cheap! I think the last oem price I saw for a push-rod oil seal was $15 + shipping. Ouch!

Ya that seems steep. I think I bought all my wheel bearing seals for about 7 bucks canadian ( 4 seals). I'd look around hit your yellow pages, those little things add up over a whole project. There are some big chains like motion industries and rubberline I think they are all over north america.

I'm amazed at the prices of some things like bearings and seals on alot of the websites. I know its easy cause you can just look at the fiche picture and order but that stuff is marked up huge.

mikesxs has one for like 5 bucks. i got that and a clutch adjuster nut thing for like 5 bucks a piece. i would assume that it would fit the 400 as well. havent tried it yet. i get one just incase mine does leak. which it probable will lol.

Most of the oem suppliers list a seal number and mikesxs has them clearly visible in the photos. I know the push rod seal they sell if different than my 78 though. I'm jealous of how much support those 650s have! Everything you can imagine can be bough individually.

There was some oil on the engine and I am trying to make sure I know where it is coming from. The tach oil seal is definitely leaking, but I also found oil on the fins near the points cover and on the bottom of the points cover itself. Could this simply be run-off from the tach oil seal leak dripping down the left side due to the bike being on its side stand? The manual says there is no gasket on the valve cover, so I don't think it would be fruitful to pull it off.
either the oil seal or the gasket behind the advance housing, if the oil is coming from the inside of the housing it's the seal, from behind the housing it's the gasket
crap wrong forum thought I was in XS650 above advise may not apply:doh:

I did disturb the tach cable in the past and I don't recall any oil on the fins before that. Maybe pulling the cable out finished the seal off.

funny side note I just picked up a seal from the bearing shop which I had ordered yesterday and after saying how cheap seals were I was gouged 17 bucks for one seal. It was a young kid behind the counter and I told him not to rush it but he overnighted it anyways.

To replace your tach seal you will need to remove your rocker box, unclip the sleeve and push it out from the back and it all should slide out. Then remove the gear.

Last edited:
It was pressed in there pretty good. I have been taking a spare engine apart just to see how easy it is to do:D

Back