1979 XS400 new member new bike

katherine

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
bf posting on behalf of Katherine as I just want to get her started into the forum, heres her new 1979 XS400 she got today!! Runs and drives, elect start, kick start, lights horn all work

clutch seems to engage late but doesn't seem like it slips though... needs 2 mufflers due to pinholes.... anybody wanna reply to her thread and give her some tips, pointers info on her new bike and Ill get her on here soon enough!!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
thanks Pork Chop, he just spent some time cleaning and polishing and he's going to show me how to make it look better

Don't know if this is your first bike. If it is, welcome to motorcycling, it is a wonderful thing. Also welcome to the forum, good on your boyfriend (bf) for getting you aboard. This is a great site and can always use more girl power to balance things out. I'm still in the process of finishing my build from a pile of parts, so haven't even rode mine yet. Don't know if your clutch actuation is an issue or not. I can outline how to adjust it if you need or there's a great PDF manual one of the members put up in the classifieds for free.

I can tell you, as old as these steeds are, they all need new lubrication everywhere. All the cables -clutch, brake, throttle, tachometer and speedometer, anything that pivots -swingarm, kickstand, center stand, headstock, brake and clutch levers, the chain -EVERYTHING. It's messy and you don't need to do everything all at once but when you do, a lot of effort (and worry for me) suddenly disappears. There is still effort but it's proper mechanical effort free from rust or old dried grease friction. Your bike will speak to you and you can enjoy riding so much more.

:bike:

The clutches on these bike don't usually engage until the last bit anyway. Must be the Canadian 79 2-f came with an e-start. All the u.s. models are kick only. Nice bike:thumbsup: Make sure you put an in-line fuel filter on it.

Thanks for the welcome,i have'nt been on a bike for a while but when i saw this beauty
and the second i took a seat i was in Love.I look forward to being on this forum,i've heard nothing but good things about the forums. One question ,do you know if other xs400 years mufflers fit my 1979?

Thanks MotoTrooper,i'm very happy to be a part of this forum.My Boyfriend is a member
of a few and has had all positive words to say about them.I want to thank you for all the info you already gave me,i'm sure i'll need some ( alot ) of your knowledge in the future...lol.Could you let me know if any year muffler fits my 1979 xs 400,l'm on the search.approx 31 and a half inches.

Thanks for the welcome,i have'nt been on a bike for a while but when i saw this beauty
and the second i took a seat i was in Love.I look forward to being on this forum,i've heard nothing but good things about the forums. One question ,do you know if other xs400 years mufflers fit my 1979?

Only the 78 E and the 79-f/2-f would be an exact replacement. The 76-77 xs360 and the 77 D and 78 2-E would also fit your bike. If you go to the 80-82 sohc exhaust system those will fit the bike but are a different setup and have a cross over under the bike connecting them. The cheapest way (other that fixing the ones you have) is to measure the head pipe diameter you have now and get some after market ones.

thanks xschris..... found a nice place for winter storage :cool:

Last edited:
I dont think most people on here even know what a monster that bike is. That is effing cool, just dont see them too often.

2 stroke, v4 500cc. Who would take an xs400 over that!!?

nos yammi mirrors and a new spitfire windshield installed today! :heart:

Attachments

• xs400newmirrorsnscreen2.jpg
    xs400newmirrorsnscreen2.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 209
  • xs400newmirrorsnscreen1.jpg
    xs400newmirrorsnscreen1.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 200
Back