1980 Special II Tank stock color match???

phate

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Sorry about the title but its hard to describe what I need in a few words. Anyways I would like to match my 1980 special II stock blue paint color but cant seem to find a good match. I've tried many powders but none match so I am resorting to a rattle can. If any of you have done this before and know of a good match please tell me as it will save me a trip to an automotive painter and close to $300:yikes: I am including a picture so you know what blue I am talking about (thanks zjustin28). Thanks in advance.
s33982.jpg

Thats a good idea but do the paints need to be spayed on with a paint gun or do they generally make some sort of self contained can with your color. I just googled a place near me will give em a call tomorrow. thanks again

Well I have a place near me that makes the batch up for spray can.Im sure it can made either way.if you have access to a compressor with about 150psi You can get a decent paint sprayer for around $40.Painting isnt that difficult you just have use very staedy even strokes and make sure you overlap each one.Just take your time and dont apply to heavy of coats.Also dont apply a second coat very fast after the 1st one.I guess I would say it just came natural to me.I have painted a couple of cars and they turned out very well.

Thanks again for the reply. It's good to know that they should be able to whip up a spray can but if I have too, a trip to harbor freight should solve my lack of paint gun problem:laugh: oh and I have two 125 psi compressors in tandem operating at about 9 cfm I hope that's enough

I was going to mention Harbor freight for the spray gun along with your compressor setup it will paint a tank just fine.
Not sure on the cfm`s but my compressor is 125psi 40 gallon tank.I painted my gas tank with it fine.Its just removing the dents that gave me problems but thats a whole another story:laugh:
Theres a thread about what happened if you want to read it for shits and giggles you will get plenty of gigles from the read:laugh:

Ok thanks that's what I wanted to know and wow a 40 gallon that's huge you can probably paint all day and night with that thing. I will check out that thread I could always use a few laughs:thumbsup: thanks again.

Ok checked out the store today and bought 2 cans of customly matched paint. Costed a bit more then I would have liked but if it comes out the way I wanted then it was worth it (of course with proper prep). Guess will just have to wait till the weekend to find out.

Back