1980xs Brat Project

Noah

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought this project a few days ago, got her fired up and running and took her for a spin around the block. Won't run without choke. Pulled the carbs apart, it has 147.5 main jets and the other two were stock. I cleaned every thing up and ordered 137.5 jets. I assume that's what was causing the bike to only run half or full choke. Too big of jets. It does have a open exhaust and small pod filters. I also bled out the front brake line and it was a pretty nasty color. The caliper does function but won't fully release, it is definately contacting rotor. I hope I can get a rebuild kit or new caliper.

Attachments

• 0401201651.jpg
    0401201651.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 263
  • 0401201501a.jpg
    0401201501a.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 297
Another photo of caliper, I got two 1980 xs and one had disk front and the other has drum in front. Is this the factory disk brake and fork?

Attachments

• 0401201501.jpg
    0401201501.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 299
  • 0330201803a.jpg
    0330201803a.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 302
No your front end is not from a xs400. Not sure what it's off of so ordering parts will be hard. Disc brakes will drag a bit. That's normal. As long as you can turn the wheel easily you should be fine. What pods do you have. Pods directly on these type carbs is a bad idea making the bike run poorly.

Calipers say Japan and have a 8823 in white stamped under where the piston is and a 87r stamped into the metal. They do work good when I press the brake lever, I'm just worried they are going to lock up or not disengage when I need them too. The pods font seem to have a brand. What do you suggest for filters? Also do you think the 137.5 main jets were approximately the right size? It died on me during last ride, I think it is dumping ok much fuel with the huge 147.5 that someone put in there before.

Could be a lot of things causing your issue. Stock intake setup is best but using the stock H-pipe and 6" black foam uni filters would be the next option. Lot of threads on carbs and filters in the forum. You may also want to start with basic tuning and maintenance first to rule out any other things.

Thanks for the help Chris!
Here is a picture of where the brake line runs from the m/c to a (?) I would like to figure out what fork this off of.

And a picture of the pods.

Attachments

• 0402201002.jpg
    0402201002.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 283
  • 0402201004.jpg
    0402201004.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 293
Not sure what your brake is off of. I would use a different intake setup.

I haven't been able to get spark after she died yesterday. I checked all the wiring, I'm thinking its a points or ignition module problem. I definately got a project, it was so much fun to ride.. For all 2 minutes, so I know it will be worth it in the end,

Make sure the battery is fully changed (12.5v+) and the plugs are not fouled.

Battery was 12.7 volts on the meter and I tried two other plugs to see if those would spark and notta.. I haven't checked the spare parts bike I have for a module or points yet. Maybe those ones will be functional.

Honestly, there is a quite a bit of homebrew wiring I'm not happy about, ill post more pics soon.

Tried using the spare bikes ignition module, no luck. Still not getting spark. The previous owner boogered the Phillips head screws on the pick up coil on the spare bike so I haven't removed that one to see if it will work. Not sure what else could have just suddenly quit. Maybe the ignition coils themselves?

Attachments

• 0404200934.jpg
    0404200934.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 223
I would try new plugs first. If your bike was running bad they could be fouled. Testing the trigger pickup to easy and it don't need to be removed. The manual has the specs for that. Your poor wiring/grounds may also be the issue.

I cleaned the plugs and tried two others, no spark at plug electrode. Ill try again. I would like to just rewire this motor for basic mechanical function, no accessory lights whatsoever. Like a dirtbike..

Found my issue, previous owner left me quite the project. Someone installed an afternmarket flywheel and it grenaded. Sprocket chain shredded the wires that connect to the stator, neutral switch and oil pressure sensor.. There's a plate with timing marks on it that is free spinning behind the flywheel. Ill have access to flywheel puller monday. I'm hoping I can use the stock flywheel from the spare bike with no issues. Worse case scenario, I will run a compression test on the spare motor and if it checks out. Ill swap all the parts over to that one. I'm using the factory harness from the parts bike to redo the ghetto wiring. If I hadn't heard the motor run before, I would he a lot more worried after seeing this. Ill keep you posted. Thanks

Attachments

• 0404201648a.jpg
    0404201648a.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 265
  • 0404201717.jpg
    0404201717.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 292
Any suggestions on timing the motor after the flywheel swap? Will it need to adjusted when I bolt the stock one on?

I would look at the motor that is still stock. All the marks should be still correct for that one. Someone did a PMA conversion with the other on which removes all the marks. These motors are not really setup well for this type system. The xs650 is more suited for this. The stock xs400 system is a very good system as there are no brushes or parts to wear out. The winding's can go bad but because everything is in oil from the motor they will stay cooler and less pron to drying out. My 79 still has its original charging system and it works perfect even after 35k+ miles on it.

https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-xs400-standard-overhaul-gasket-set.html
Edit: ordered my jets from Mikes and they got here so fast. Is getting the whole gasket set my best bet?

Thanks for the help Chris, I appreciate the knowledge. I would really like to keep the Motor stock, I don't need any extra power. I'm glad to hear they were built with the reliability. Do you know where I can get a stator cover gasket? I've only seen them for sale with kit. I looked online and it appears to be a 16 mm flywheel puller?

Last edited:
I ordered the Gasket set for 54.12$ I realize now that MikesXs is in Tampa, only a few hours from me. Made it convenient. Hoping to get her fired up early next week.

The last time I got jets from mikes they where china made knock offs of mikuni. They are not as well made and the sizes are not correct. I use only real mikuni jets ( they will have a square within a square marked on them). Jetsareus.com has real ones as well as most yamaha dealers. It will make tuning much easier.

Back