1981 xs400 cafe build (im new)

gnarthwestXS

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! Im new to this whole forum thing. just wanted to pop in and see what everyone else does t hook their bikes up in different ways! im very excited about the progress ive been making on my bike and cant wait to share and trade my experiences with fellow enthusiasts. my name is Jacob! Nice to meet you all :thumbsup:

p.s. also im looking for a bunch of parts such as disc brakes, euro gas tank, stock head light, and turn signals, and seat building parts.. i live in tacoma wa if anyone else is close i also need someone to ride with! Thanks!

Attachments

• CIMG0151.jpg
    CIMG0151.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 293
  • CIMG0170.jpg
    CIMG0170.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 246
  • CIMG0178.jpg
    CIMG0178.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 231
  • CIMG0186.jpg
    CIMG0186.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 287
in the next two weeks ill have my headlight and both sets of signals upgraded, ive also got my stock air boxes and breather. Im in portland which is fairly close, lemme know if ur interested.:)

Nice! I like the dual headlights, reminds me of a Triumph Street Triple. Unless I am missing something (i might I am a newb) where is the front brake?

I had to take the headlights off. they were from a mini cooper and they're 55watt bulbs. stock headlight is 35/40.. i plug one of them in and it kills my motor :( so i have to get a stock job. the front brake was gone from the bike when bought it, so im looking to buy a new disc set up. thanks for the feed back! and hey Liam, i would be interested in the headlight if its in close to perfect shape. i just don't know when i will be in Portland next.. Thanks!

welcome! i have stock turn signals and a stock headlight bucket of your intrested. also shocks without the reflector covers on them. anthing else, just ask.

If you return to a single headlight you can still go with one 55W60 H4 bulb if you install a conversion reflector from candlepower.com Throw in a set of LED tail/stop bulbs and that cancels out the increase in amps on the headlight bulb. I did this on my '80 and now have great light at night. I will also change out my turn signal bulbs for LEDs after we sort out the flasher relay issue. My son has a flasher coming from the LED guy that is said to work on our bikes. Won't know until it arrives.

When using LED bulbs in old design light units, you have to be careful to match the light emitting design of the LED bulb to the old reflector/lens unit or you will end up with less light than the old filament style bulb.

!! Just checked Candlepower's website and they are out of stock on these units until Fall. Link below:
http://store.candlepower.com/638inhe.html

Link for tail/stop LEDs:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1pc-BAY15D-1157...Accessories&hash=item2eb5934a97#ht_1427wt_917

Curious that your engine dies with just one headlight plugged in. It should be ok with one unless your battery is about dead. Our bikes need a battery in good shape or they won't run. My bike still ran ok when I installed the 55W60 bulb but the headlight did dim whenever I applied brakes. With LED tail/stop bulbs the headlight stays bright all the time unless I have a turn signal on.

I have a stock 81 headlight and turn signals front and rear, located in canada though. Let me know if you want prices, I won't ask much just the shipping really. I'll never use them haha.

Posted via Mobile

Back