For Sale - 1981 xs400 part out

MrYeats

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Sad to say but my xs is being cannibalized so the parts are going on the block for sale. I have listed some stuff on Ebay under the seller name catsinthemoon. So far there I have listed the 16 drum rear wheel, 18" drum front wheel, exhaust and bs38 carbs. All else will be available after Tuesday. The motor runs though it needs a cam seal job.I have the title so the frame will go as a titled frame with swing arm and tree.
Too many parts to list right now so keep me in mind and I will start posting parts and prices sometime around Tuesday.

Last edited:
I just don't want to take it apart again to fix the cam seals. I should have done that earlier, before putting it together. Lessons learned the hard way. I need a boat.
I can probably get more for parts than a bike that needs major surgery.

A cam seal would only take 30 mins or so to do and you don't have to pull the engine.

I know but it is very involved and I have gone way over budget on this. Time to cut losses and get a bike that runs right and go from there...

Man thats a tough call but you cant use a boat in the winter time unless you live in a warm climate.Winter time would be a good time to fix it.I never changed cam seals but if you run into any problems you got the great source of information here :)

I have a project I have been working on for 3 and half years on and off,sometimes I had to take 3 steps backwards to go forward many times But slowly I keep pecking away at it in hopes that eventualy someday soon I`ll be driving it.I could have given up and just said f it and felt like it.I got so much time wrapped up I cant see quitting till its done.

I will go to the shop that did the final wiring/timing to get it going. I go there Tuesday to hear it for myself. I will see if I feel the same way at that time, So for now I will hold off on the sale. I took the Ebay auctions off so I have time to think.
Thanks for the support guys...

I know but it is very involved and I have gone way over budget on this. Time to cut losses and get a bike that runs right and go from there...

The seal is a few dollars and a tube of yamabond is $10 and like a said 1/2 hour of work. If that's all that is wrong it would be worth doing.

Thanks Chris, I actually found seals part # 93102-23190-00 . on ebay. I bought 3 so I will hopefully have spares. I will get it back home tomorrow and start the process....

The cam has one seal. Like any leak it depends on how much oil you lose during normal riding conditions. Could be a little or a lot.

Drewpy and a local friend of mine seem to agree that it can be done by pulling the points plate and not have to pull the valve cover. I hope so.

Back