1981 xs400 solenoid problem

Alex Morales

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I recently put together my bike after doing some work on it and after gettin ready to start it I put the key in turn the ignition and a horrible sound cones from the relay/solenoid. Do I need a new one or is it simply a wiring issue? Also my kickstart swings lose and doesn't engage any ideas what is wrong with it? Here's a video so you can see what I'm talking about.

Well the solonoid clicking like that tell's me that there isn't enough power in your battery! Recharge it an try again! The kickstart, I'd say that the clutch, was slipping so much that it isn't able to turn the engine over? There are two possibilities here, one, you have your clutch cable too tight, that it's engaging the clutch, on a semi perminant basis. Two, your using the same type of oil that your using in your car, Those oil's are for use with a "Dry plate" clutch, causing the clutch to slip excessively, check both reasons, then either adjust the cable, or, drain the oil, and refill to the correct level with 10W30, or 40 weight oil!

Merlin

For your sohc xs400 use 20w-50 bike oil for wet clutches. There are threads on clutch adjusting, also it's in the manual. If the battery is fully charged the e-start should work unless the motor is stuck. Make sure all the grounds are good and the wiring is correct. Again it's in the manual.

Back