1981 yamaha xs400 clutch and break problem

Alex Morales

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have my 1981 Yamaha xs400 I'm working on and I have no clue what's wrong with the clutch here's a video of my problem:

If you haven't already, get a 5mm allen, take off the drive sprocket cover. examine the drive gear, and all that. I have noticed that many actuators are showing a wear grove from the one hole, to a line to wear it will break though and no longer work.
2, with that part disconnected, pull apart the handle bar segment. the clutch adjust on the handle bar should have a wire remove/replace grove, it just needs to be aligned . examine the cable, where the wire goes into the shealth, and ensure that there is no fouling of the cable.
3, provided everything is good, put the handle bar back together, put the drive sprocket back together, tighten up the handlebar side. revisit tests.

as far as your brakes, your going have to refer to the manual. I don't know anything about front drums. My immediate thought is that the spring, has sprung, and your going to have to open it up, and re-clip it. If you haven't downloaded the manual, there is free copy on top of the garage.
The next link, will have the front tire breakdown.
http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs400-1981-b-usa_model8825/partslist/

Have the cables been lubricated? Get some wd40 and let it run down the cables to make sure they move freely first.

If your cables have any sharp bends in them, it will be harder to squeeze the levers, look to make sure they aren't contorted and bent around stuff.

If you haven't already, get a 5mm allen, take off the drive sprocket cover. examine the drive gear, and all that. I have noticed that many actuators are showing a wear grove from the one hole, to a line to wear it will break though and no longer work.
2, with that part disconnected, pull apart the handle bar segment. the clutch adjust on the handle bar should have a wire remove/replace grove, it just needs to be aligned . examine the cable, where the wire goes into the shealth, and ensure that there is no fouling of the cable.
3, provided everything is good, put the handle bar back together, put the drive sprocket back together, tighten up the handlebar side. revisit tests.

as far as your brakes, your going have to refer to the manual. I don't know anything about front drums. My immediate thought is that the spring, has sprung, and your going to have to open it up, and re-clip it. If you haven't downloaded the manual, there is free copy on top of the garage.
The next link, will have the front tire breakdown.
http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs400-1981-b-usa_model8825/partslist/

Thanks alot I'll look foward to trying this out

It looks to me like that is nothing but an adjustment issue and fortunately it appears there is lots of adjustment left at the levers. You could probably adjust out all that free play I would think. Youtube how to adjust cables if you are unfamiliar. If that doesn't give you enough adjustment then you will have to adjust the other ends of those cables.
The drum brake cable adjustment on the brake end of the cable is straight forward (loosen locking nut, thread the cable end out of cable holder until you have proper tension/slack in the cable and tighten locking nut again).
The adjustment on the clutch end of the clutch cable is less straightforward and I resorted to using a small impact driver to break loose and then retighten the locking nut since I didn't have the proper tool. The manual shows the process of adjusting that end of the cable, refer to it.

good luck.

Back