1982 XS400R Repaint

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I've read what I can and looked wherever sensible for my paint codes but am uncertain as to what exactly I should be seeing. I checked my frame at the triple trees and found a label (link with photo to follow). Would Yamaha be able to help me if I called in with a VIN number?

I'm ready to paint just as soon as I can confirm which paint to buy.

If the people who came up with the paint colors are hip, then I'd definitely guess 'super red'. My worst fear is that they weren't and that 'super red' might be some bad, candy apple, 70's spider man looking crap LOL.

I don't want to paint until I know for sure, so I'm thinking I should call Yamaha. Anyone have a phone number that will be effective?

If the people who came up with the paint colors are hip, then I'd definitely guess 'super red'. My worst fear is that they weren't and that 'super red' might be some bad, candy apple, 70's spider man looking crap LOL.

I don't want to paint until I know for sure, so I'm thinking I should call Yamaha. Anyone have a phone number that will be effective?

Sounds like 70's hip lingo to name a paint color, staying with the period and marketing pr peoples trying to illustrate how hip it is. For an 82 maybe behind the times. Color names change funny names with time period and what sounds cool, hip or the shizzle. Never tried to call but start with the local dealer maybe.

Man, I found the paint codes by year somewhere on the interwebs...

But I'm sorry to say they won't help. The codes aren't recipes, and once you find the codes, you then need a paint shop with the recipe to make it come out right.

Better option - repaint yourself. Or, find a part that matches on Ebay.

take it to a body supply shop..or a better known body shop...and see if they can scan the color ...if they have the paint scanner they can match the color...and usually adjust for the fade of age if you are only doing 1 piece...especially a red.

Back