20k Maintenance

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hello again everyone!!!

Here's hoping all's well with you.

I was forced to fish my newbie hat out of the basement because I'm approaching my very first 20k on a motorcycle. She had 8k when I bought 'er and I've not done much in the way of engine work at all. So, here I am.

I've heard mention of valves (no idea how that works) at local motorcycle gatherings. I decided I'd go to my favorite source (this site).

What maintenance should I be considering at this point and how do I go about it? Manual page numbers are always a big help.

Give me a list and I'll get to it! :)

Chapter Two - page 10. Valve clearance.
You need forum search (use the google one), a big ziptie, a micrometer, patience, possibly a new gasket for your valve cover, and a set of feeler gauges (0.01 mm - 0.12 mm in steps of 0.01 or 0.02). Use bentwrench's post here http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10033
Find out what size shims you'll need, then order them or buy/trade them at a shop (sometimes you can get a discount when you give them your old ones which you don't need anymore)

When you're done with that, sync your carbs. Chapter 2, page 21. Also use this thread http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5685

Basically, go through your entire chapter 2 of your manual. Measure your compression (after valve clearance and carb sync). Check chain and sprockets for wear. Check your tires, thread and pressure. Check your brake pads and drums. Change engine oil. Change fork oil. Put in some new spark plugs, caps and cables. Consider getting a new battery. Depending on how old your inline fuel filter is (if you have one), put a new one in. Check all moving parts and bearings for free play and grease them well. Check all electric circuits, bulbs and wiring. Open your buttons on the handlebars to check for corrosion in there. Check entire bike for rust.

that'll keep you busy for a while ;) But if you do all this, you'll be able to ride the bike for a long long time after.

Excellent. Now that I have two bikes, I'm far less fearful about approaching all of it. There will be things that I call in a more experienced buddy for but, all in all, I think you've pointed me in exactly the right direction :D

Thanks!

Back