3F9/4R4 Ignitor Differences

esmith87

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the differences are between the 3F9 TCI ignition units and the 4R4 TCI ignition units. Are there different ignition curves or is it simply a shorter leads on the 3F9. I have seen this discussed on the forum at some point in the past, but an hour of searching this morning has left me empty handed. If someone can point me to the correct thread, I'd appreciate it

Thanks,
Ethan

I remember the thread. I'm fairly certain they function equally, the newer one was just built differently as the world was advancing on the PCB front in the time era very rapidly. They 4r4 had a better layout, smaller components, looks like they eliminated some fluff.

Either way, both are very outdated. If you need one, can I recommend the Pamco or similar? Saved me a lot of room, and what fits in the stock big black box now fits in a tiny silver one :)

These boxes are easy to fix. All the transistors can be replaced for cheap. Of the 10 new and used boxes I own, none have gone bad in their 35+ yrs of life. :laugh: Same for the pickups. Not to say they won't . These are made by yamaha and made well. I know there are other brands being made by a few companys and people but they do the same thing for the ignition. If they still work there is no need to replace them. I don't think the new ones incorporate any of the saftey switch stuff tho. I guess when people don't want to spend a little time to fix the stock one or get a used one, which there are lots of them for cheap still out there, they will spend a few hundred on a aftermarket one.:)

Last edited:
Back