'79 First Bike First Oil Change

Hamburger87

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
As the title states I have a 1979 XS400. Its my first bike so I've never worked on them before. I went to the store and pick up a Fram CH6003 Filter as well as some SAE 20W50 motorcycle oil.
In my first picture I just wanted to clarify that the bigger bolt (17mm?) is the drain plug, and the steel plate thats being held by 6 bolts is to gain access to the oil screen for cleaning? There is also a smaller bolt (12mm) near the 17mm bolt closer to the top right of the picture, what exactly is that for?
The second picture is also showing some type of red goo, assuming its red thread lock why is it around the 17mm bolt located in the first picture? Thanks for taking the time to answer even though these seems to be general knowledge questions.

34rulg2.jpg

4hr4ur.jpg

The red goo looks more like Permatex gasket maker.
I don't know if the sohc drain plug has a sealing washer or not, but if it got lost or damaged and the drain plug dripped oil, your PO might have used gasket maker instead of replacing or repairing. :doh:
Sorry I can't help you with the other bolt.

If it's your first oil change, be real careful when tightening the oil filter cover. On my dohc, the required torque was 1/3 of what the drain bolt required and I over-torqued and cracked the whole cover. :yikes:
Not sure if that would happen as easily with the sohc since they are shaped differently - just be safe rather than sorry and don't tighten any bolts if you're pumped with adrenalin :p

PS - Bienvenue!

NEVER use gasket maker in a Japanese bike engine! :doh:

Firstly, because should a piece of that break off inside the case and get up into the upper oil galleries it can starve parts of the engine for oil; NOT GOOD!

Secondly because the clearances inside are so exacting that the absence of a paper gasket can actually screw with operation.

My advice, clean that stuff off completely ASAP, buy the gasket or make it, NEVER use that stuff on the bike's engine again!

Back