Permanent Magnet Alternator Mod

fair enough man. Im just working on stopping the stupid oil leak right now haha...i wish i had more time to work on my bike!!!

hey guys, new here; I've followed this build step by step... I used a 1980s Honda vf stator & matching flywheel.. everything fits perfect... BUT, when it comes to final bolt in I'm about a 1/2in away from the crank.. ideas?

Assumptions, with out pics, can cause problems, but my first thought based on what you have stated, is that there is a gap of .5 inches. so to fill that gap with a sleeve, that is .5 inches, (measure twice, buy once) and if everything has the clearance, JB weld (or something similar) that piece together (just enough to hold it in place so that when torque the bolt to settings, it will not squeeze, creating more issues.

Like I said, this is an assumption, and its the first thing I thought of. Good luck

You need a battery. Many threads in regard to that question. Some have attempted or have gone to a battery-less system, using Capacitors. I don't think those solutions last as long as the right battery. It seems even Droopy, whom went with the smallest battery, had some issues.(I dont remember anymore)

The pictures are not showing up ??
Trying to do this to a friend's bike and need the pictures to start this project.
Cheers

The pictures are not showing up ??
Trying to do this to a friend's bike and need the pictures to start this project.
Cheers
Hey mate, how did you get on with the upgrade. I am in the same boat and hoping someone has some photos of the process..

Help!! Is anyone still active! I need help getting the right parts this is my first post but I've been using this thread for years trying to do the mod. I kept chickening out! But now I went for it and now presently stuck.. just need someone to talk to. I've had my 81 xs400 for 8 years always had a problem with the charging system. I'm going now battery. The bike is opened up flywheel removed parts in hand. But got the wronge flywheel. Got a banchee flywheel , stator . I want to loose the cdi box thing with the magnito or whatever. Bike is ready to go need help! This is my first reply thanks for baring with me hope you're here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 368
These bikes don't have a CDI. The TCI box is an essential part of the ignition system.
If you get rid of it the bike will not run.

Sounds like your first step would be to get all the correct parts?

I'm trying to get these parts! What is the most basic way to wire this bike up after mod? I want to use a Magnito on the flywheel to eliminate the cdi or tci box. I was to only use rectifier flywheel magnito spark plugs stator head light tail light. Any help please!

These bikes don't have a CDI. The TCI box is an essential part of the ignition system.
If you get rid of it the bike will not run.

Sounds like your first step would be to get all the correct parts?

I want to do this mod and go with out a battery. do you have experience eliminating a battery on xs400

No. Not many do, though everything you need is in this thread. I'd also browse the XS650 forum since a lot more of them have done the PMA mod.

Even fewer have experience converting to a magneto ignition. To the best of my knowledge it has never, ever, been done to an XS400.
You would be starting from scratch. You'd need to stop your PMA mod, do a lot of research on a magneto that might fit and design the system from scratch.
There would be no advantage other than freeing up the tiny space taken by the TCI box.

I don't want to be a downer or unsupportive but if you don't already know how to go about doing the mod I'd drop the idea entirely.

The guy that started this thread is the only one I know of that has a PMA charging system. As for ignition never heard of a cdi for an xs400. I would keep the tci as it's the best setup for these bikes. But keep in mind you would still need a battery to get the tci to work at startup. You could use a small battery, like a 1.2ah that weighs around 1lb. I ran one for a few years but make sure it has a charge rate of at least 14.5v or you will fry it.

Thanks for the help! I will update soon but the fact that the chamber is not oiless like the xs650 worries me. I basically want a simple dirtbike like start up only key and head/tail/break light nothing else no boxs or computers is this possible in any bike or this one specifically

Last edited:
Thanks for the help! I will update soon but the fact that the chamber is not oiless like the xs650 worries me. I basically want a simple dirtbike like start up only key and head/tail/break light nothing else no boxs or computers is this possible in any bike or this one specifically
Remember this is a 4-stroke twin and not a 2-stroke single. Unless you modify the entire system it won't work. These have a 180* firing crank which means two different timed sparks. You may get away with using a pamco ignition but with your only power coming from the mag it could make for hard starting. A two stroke single or even twin can be kicked over much faster than one of these type motors.

Last edited:
Remember this is a 4-stroke twin and not a 2-stroke single. Unless you modify the entire system it won't work. These have a 180* firing crank which means two different timed sparks.

I do plan to rewire the whole thing so are you saying it's possible. The flywheel is for a branchee it has two bumps on it which I assume sparks the plugs. The stator powers the lights and stuff?

Back