79 XS400 BoB

KevinV

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Well here she is.
Found her on Kijiji $1500 barn fresh, talked the seller down to $500.
Got It running and straight piped it and zipped around for a couple of months causing a ruckus. She needs a valve tune still but I love the afterfiring and I just cruise around the area I live in which is clustered by small pubs and bars, H-A having their local bar just around the corner where colors are permitted in the bar. It was a effin blast for a lil 400.
Then snow was about to fall for 9 months straight (shitty saskatoon). So a buddy I met at a local bike show (cyclemania) got her welded up. I stripped the bike down to 2 tires and a rear brake. I got the special with mags and discs. We ordered the TCBros universal kit. I ordered a fisco tank with bungs built in, the fake oil electronics tank and batterybox from TC, 13" ape Bars from TC, 7/8 Controls off ebay, Monstercraftsmans sk8 chain tensioner, faucet type fuel bung, kungfu grips, distressed leather seat, 4" springs for the seat, and hughs handbuilt bungs.

I still need to get a rear fender and some various other parts like a plate holder and rear stop light and mirrors. I Just FSU with none of that on. I am going to run a rigid industries 6" E series light bar for a headlight. They claim 4500 lumens.

The bike is soo much fun, it runs like absolute shit right now but is still a blast. and Iv enjoyed bikes like a 2008 KTM 250sx pinger and a 600 ninja. This 400 is by far my fav so far.

Out riding I actually had a guy get out of his car and come check the bike out at a long red light.

Tons of people ask what it is. If anyone is seriously considering doing up a kick ass cheap chop bob the 400 is it.

I pay 14$ a month to plate the bike here in canada under antique insurance.

Sometimes riding it I feel 13 again riding my mountain bike skidding everywhere locking up the back tire and peeling out, shes light and damn easy to handle. Just like a rigid mountain bike.

This babe is gonna be with me for a loooooooong time. I love her.

So to anyone thinking of bringing some life back into a lost jap school girl in some barn or junkyard, do it! You won't regret it. She will make you smile everytime. Phuck Yeah!

Kev.

Attachments

• 1Beforethechop.jpg
    1Beforethechop.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 180
  • 2Thebeginning.jpg
    2Thebeginning.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 3Almost.jpg
    3Almost.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 5Problemsolving.jpg
    5Problemsolving.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 6RoadReady.jpg
    6RoadReady.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 7Riding.jpg
    7Riding.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
I forgot to mention, including the purchase of the bike I am probably into it for $4000 including paying Greg the welder for the kit, welding it fabbing the mounts for the rear caliper, and painting it with 2 stage endura. He had the Jig, and I aint a welder. Something I want to get into tho. Just no time right now. IMO that aint bad for a bike that gets the attention it does, and how cheap it is to insure and run, and like I said its a blast. Sportbike insurance up here is avg. around 200$ per month. Just to get a plate and no injury coverage or shit. This babe is $14/month. Since the Build I had to remount the electronics tank to face front and aft rather than side to side. Wouldn't clear the chain and way possible. But I think it looks better the way it is now. Other than having to solder and extend the wiring harness. Those were the major bumps in the road besides having to repair a bunch of crap since the bike was once dumped and didn't run. So one long winter and it could be done. Just have about 5 G's and your good. Better than 20-30 for a new bike including insurance or some shit. Was just as much as a blast to build as it is to ride. Kept me out of trouble all winter and in the Garage.

Back