1. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

79' XS400-Winnipeg

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Winnipeg_79_XS400, Jul 17, 2017.

1. New bars are in from TC bros. Fork seals are done, and lowered 1".

Removed the stock cluster and went with just the stock gauge, I think it's sharp on its own.

Prepping the frame for the 2.r gallon sporster tank I have coming in. Plan on just painting it clear coat to keep the stainless look.

I'm hoping the base of my bars don't hit the tank. And that the coils don't get in the way too much when mounting.

Attached Files:

2. Got my hands on a spare tank, use it to fab up the mounts and holes

Attached Files:

3. Seat upgrade!

Attached Files:

4. Looking to remover my tachometer cable. The stock retaining screw was replaced with a bolt that is not snapped off. I plan on removing the head cover and side cover, then remove the worm gears and cable and reassemble. What I plan on using for a plug is yet TBD.

If I do this, will I have to make any adjustments to the head assembly, or possibly the ignition/timing?

Or is their an easier way?

Cheers

5. Almost done. Just have to line the tank and mount. Finish and wrap the exhaust. Then tune the engine this spring.

When you sit on this, its an amazing fit. Feels pretty natural. I'd say it's a kick ass bobber!

Attached Files:

6. Sauerkraut

Sauerkraut XS400 Member

Canada
    Bike looks good! Im also in Winnipeg, I have an 81 cafe, we should link up for a ride this spring.

7. For sure. As well, ox Motorcycle in town is having a vintage bike show in March. Should be good.

On the hunt for a front fender as well! If you see any, and if you'e in need of anything let me know!!

8. This may be a Longshot LOL another wiring question.

I have reassembled my bike. I'm able to kick it over and et it running. My headlight goes on and the high beam does work. My turn signals go on (but don't blink I suspect this is a ground issue)

When I go to use the electric start I don't even get a click and I don't get anything. My gut tells me that I've messed up in the wiring somewhere.

Can anybody share with me any likely suspects. I know this is a vague question LOL. I am suspecting it is somewhere from the battery forward on the bike

9. xschris

xschris miles of smiles =)

Painted bars? Your e-start switch grounds through them to the left side switch housing. Did you remove the indicator dash lights? That will cause issues with blinkers as it's part of the flashing circuit. Make sure you have a battery able to turn the bike over and the bike is charging at 14.5 volts when running.

10. Update.

I am able to start the bike from the solenoid (bridging posts). I'll grind the paint under the switch!

I did remove the dash lights. Didn' thing of that so I'll see about bridging the circuit at the head light!

11. Lubed in the dash lights, and the signals blinked until a light burnt out lol.

Ground down under the switch. Still not even a sound.

12. xschris

You need to make sure the other side of the bars are grounded also. That's where the ground wire goes to.

Winnipeg_79_XS400 likes this.
  13. Thanks again. Problems solved!

14. xschris