80 xs 400 clutch issues help!

fourdegreediablo

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guy;s maybe some one can point me in the right direction. I just picked up an 80 xs 400 nice looking bike and strong sounding engine. My problem is I'm having problems with the clutch,bike fires up I can put it in gear and nothing. When it goes in gear I can hear and feel it engage but no power to the wheel .I tried to kick start in gear and the wheel moves . The clutch handle ;cable feels like there is tension . I put the bike on it's center stand and started it and put it in gear and the wheel moves but I can stop the wheel with my hand. I haven;t opened the engine yet ,kinda new to bikes but I'm a car mechanic so it shouldn't be out of my reach to fix it.

Attachments

• CAM01111.jpg
    CAM01111.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 285
  • CAM01105.jpg
    CAM01105.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 277
  • CAM01106.jpg
    CAM01106.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 247
Welcome to the forum, looks like a nice bike to get started on.

Regarding your problem, see if anything here helps.

http://www.xs400.com/forum/tags.php?tag=clutch

Basically you adjust the tensioner on the sprocket cover first then the handlebar lever second. Its been covered numerous times before.

What do you have planned for the bike?

Agrees, try a clutch adjustment first. It could have to much tension and not disengaging all the way.

Look for plastic crap under the rubber covers on the handlebar clutch levels. as well as everything else.

Back