80 XS400 Build

Mawx

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Member 80 Heritage XS400SG Cafe Racer project

Hi all,

My cousin started building cafe racer's about 1 year ago. I asked him to build me one. I mocked up some designs in photoshop. The bikes about 2 weeks from complete. The bike was started on April 1st 2012.

Here is a time lapse vid of the teardown and begining fab first 3 days of the build:

The only catch throughout the build was the gas cap. The tank is a XS360 tank but it had no cap. I found most people online in the states were selling XS650 caps claming they were compatible with XS360's which is not true. With a few days of research I figured out the XS360 was re-released as the RX100 in Japan. We ordered a RX100 gas cap from Bangledesh and it was the right cap. So FYI if you ever need a XS360 cap.

I'll post the finals at the end of the month! This is my first bike I'm so stoked!
Hope you like it my cousin Caleb is amazing IMO he has hit the mark with this one.

Added new and updated images after some cleanup.
Begin
Begin.jpg
With 360 Tank on
Rough.jpg
Should have seen my face on this one.
EngineOut.jpg
frame
Frame.jpg
Frame with 360 and Clubmans
OldStriped.jpg
Engine Pre-Cleanup
EngineOld.jpg
Springs after cleanup / Paint Gloss Black
Springs.jpg
Cousin Fab
JoshWeld.jpg
After Fabrication and bodywork
Angleold.jpg
Rearold.jpg
SideOld.jpg
Side2old.jpg

Here are some picks from throughout the build:

Frame after tear down, rear section cut, cleaned, sanded, painted with engine painted / mounted and front forks back on:
The rear springs we used a cutter / dremil (sorry not the most tool savy yet) to shear off the extra chorme to get a raw spring look.
Mounts we left orginal.
unnamed.jpg

Wheels after cleanup / tapeoff and repaint:
Was going to black them out but the rest of the bike was so dark we wanted some contrast here
wheels.jpg

Brakes drilled, for looks but does it help with cooling too?
brake drill.jpg

Rearsets, custom made by Caleb, he used the existing frame and added a bolt to attach these, they are also adjustable / angle etc.
rearsets.jpg

Here is the orignal Mockup in photoshop on the bottom with the bike where it was about 3 - 4 weeks ago. I'm truely amazed and how close Caleb got when he looked at this picture one time...
compare.jpg

More to come thanks for the comments guys, I hope to pick up another bike by winter so i can start my own tinker project :)

Yes that is right he did use the muffler mount to do the rear sets. I'm about 5' 8" and it fit me like a glove in that location.

Last edited:
Here is the trailer my dad is building me it'll fit 2 bikes or one centered looks rough now but it'll be amazing when its done.
Trailer.jpg

Last edited:
Where do you get the speedo is it the mikesxs one? Is it the accurate ratio?

I believe we used Cast Iron I'll check for sure when i pick up the bike. I leave to get it on 5/26/12 it can't get here soon enough!

Got my endorsement Sunday! I'm official? but bikeless haha, and everyone made a point to ride in today so I'm staring at 8 bikes in the parking lot its torture!

My bike is going to look funny small next to all the 800's and 1000's but hrm mine will be 300-350 pounds wet?

To do list for today:
adding petcock, checking for any gas leaks, cross fingers ROOOAARRR!

Trip to color checker, Trip to vinyl guy. Vinyl should match the engine, I'll get the color number from my cousin tonight if he remembers to write it down.

Cousin said bike fired 2 mins after he put gas in the tank! Said the exhaust sounds incredible. As soon as i get a vid i'll post it.

Remaining tasks after Tuesday next week:
Put tank of for the last time, Put logos / decals on, build and attach seat.

DONE!

Engine base coat
Photo Mar 31, 6 09 05 PM.jpg
Engine Second Color
Photo Apr 01, 12 25 54 PM.jpg
Original Project bike first day home
Photo Apr 20, 5 47 56 PM.jpg
Modified Exhaust
Photo Apr 21, 1 43 16 AM.jpg
Modified Tail cutoff just behind springs then used old handlebars to manufacture the brace
Photo Apr 03, 6 44 10 AM.jpg
Fabricated Seat / tail
Photo Apr 03, 6 43 59 AM.jpg
Dad and I working on my trailer last night.
Photo May 09, 7 25 29 PM.jpg
Rock Shield almost done
Photo May 09, 8 41 06 PM.jpg

Decals side profile, cousins business logo and 1927 yamaha logo

Side.jpg

Rear, double race scripes. Trying to decide to continue this to front vendor off-centered or leave it black hrrmmmmm.
Back.jpg

Trailer my dad is building needs to hit his paint booth and thats about a wrap!
Photo May 18, 7 25 27 AM.jpg

Bike is running flawless, had a small vacum leak but that is fixed. Also had small oil leak around the shifter but that is ussually just a seal.
I have a video but can't post cause its in a weird format.

I pick the bike up this Friday / Saturday and will definately have videos posted of me riding if weather permits!

Last edited:
Back