81 Heritage Special to cafe racer build

motorama

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the bike for $400 a little while back: 45,000 km, missing headlight, air-boxes, starter motor, throttle and switches

I've managed to pick up Aprilia RS125 forks, waiting for matching handlebars, brake, spindle, speedo drive.

I've got some 2001 derbi gpr50 wheels, they're 16"

I've also got an airtech rear cowl and seat pan

I've ordered some other parts from ebay that are slowly trickling in - headlight (lens arrived busted so I had to order another one - now I'm waiting for that), inexpensive individual air filters, carb boots, xs switches and some universal switches for the left hand side (lights)

What I've done:
removed: front end, rear wheel, seat, carbs (+ took them apart - they need some stuff), rear fender and grab rail, signal lights, tail light etc.

threw the forks and wheels on to make sure they fit.

To do list:
buy and install new head tube bearings
buy a carb rebuild kit and diaphragms - clean and install
test compression - if low - clean valves and bore out cylinders
new rear wheel bearings (to fit XS spindle)
machine XS rear wheel bearing spacer to fit derbi wheel
adapter plate for XS sprocket to derbi wheel
get spacers machined for derbi wheel (maintaining a good chain line)
fit the airtech

I'm going to hold off on:
top end rebuild
moving battery and electrics
replacing rear shocks

until I've fit the running gear, headlights, gauges, rebuilt carbs and got the bike running

2012-08-03-13.58.41.jpg

2012-08-03-13.59.21.jpg

2012-08-04-12.21.54.jpg

2012-08-04-12.22.15.jpg

http://motorama.net/xs-400-project/

Last edited:
I just ordered the steering head bearings and the rear wheel bearings on ebay, BTW the Derbi wheel fits on the XS front axle (spindle), no bearing change, however I am waiting on the spindle for the forks (aprilia rs125) we'll see if I end up needing to buy different bearings, the ones in the front wheel are pooched anyhow so it's neither here nor there

yeah, I was worried they'd be too small and look funny, but the stock rear is 16" so they kind of match.

my carbs are missing their idle mixture screws (top front on carbs) the parts aren't listed on bike bandit's schematics, I've done a few cursory searches of the forum with no joy, can anyone tell me where to get these?

my carbs are missing their idle mixture screws (top front on carbs) the parts aren't listed on bike bandit's schematics, I've done a few cursory searches of the forum with no joy, can anyone tell me where to get these?

I think these are what you're looking for: http://www.mikesxs.net/product/48-5011.html

I believe it isn't listed because they are supposed to be set for EPA standards and not allow us to mess with them, hence the metal plug they place on top to hide them.

Edit: Didn't realize you were working on a 250 and I'm not sure if those are the right ones. They worked on my 82 Heritage Special, but it's a 400 with BS34's.

it is a 400 not a 250, I did try and order them (+ other carb parts) from 650 direct/Mike's XS but they were listed as out of stock and wouldn't let me order, I went ahead and ordered some GS750 carb rebuild kits from ebay, still RS34s, we'll see how the work out, I can't see there being many issues as long as I get the jetting right

I ordered a rear sprocket to fit my Derbi GPR 50 rear wheel to the XS400 Drivetrain from http://www.rebelgears.com/ - I placed the order via their online form on Sunday, spoke with a lady on the phone on Monday and just received a message that the sprocket has been made and shipped today (Wednesday), so fast! It cost me $60 + $15 for shipping, which I think is reasonable for what is essentially a custom piece of machining.

my time's presently taken up with a previous project - 2006 Suzuki Katana 750 engine into an '82 Suzuki Katana frame (+ some other custom mods), but I have most of the parts for the xs400 project, I'll be getting it all together over the winter and I'm sure it'll be go for March

So to take the stock 81 heritage special (i have the same bike) and convert it to the Aprilia RS125 forks what all needs to be purchased/swapped out?

there's been a little progress, I'm also working on an ambitious '82 Katana project, so the XS isn't progressing so quickly.
I've got the derbi GPR 50 wheels fitted, had to get some custom spacers made, and I've got a crappy caliper bracket to fit the aprilia caliper to the derbi rotor, I'll make a better one after I get the bike running.
I tried to start the bike, but no spark so I checked the coils, ordered replacements, also the stator is showing no resistance so I got another one of those, rectifier, ignition switch, wiring loom, I'm thinking all electrical components are shot so I just ordered new stuff, waiting for the coils and starter motor (I got tired of kicking)

yeah, that swingarm is c-razy, I would totally buy that if I was in the UK, It's a good thing I'm not, I already have too many projects

Back