81 partial restore, mild race build

betteron2wheels

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Team,

I'm moved this discussion over from the Intro section:

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11789

I'm still debating if I should build this bike or my CB350 into a track bike. First step is to clean both up enough to assess the condition of the engines and go from there. I'll focus on the XS first.

1st step is a good look over and start spraying penetrating oil on the hardware. Looks like all I really need is a key, I can't find one on eslay so maybe I'll pull the ignition and see if a locksmith can duplicate one. Unless someone has a #3612 out there??

This is going to be slow going; I already can’t get the spark plugs to turn. I’ll spray PB Blaster on them for a couple of days and heat the head around them; damn, this could get real frustrating real quick :banghead: . I really don’t want to have to pull the head this early in the project… Oil, heat and patience; anything else I should try??

Wish me luck!

Attachments

• 1980 XS400 Web pic.jpg
    1980 XS400 Web pic.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 366
I've read yamaha dealers sometimes still have blank keys which they can make for you, but locksmiths usually don't. Alternatively there are places online where you can find blanks.

If oil, heat and patience doesn't work I wouldn't really know what to do either. But if you're not doing it already, also try to tighten the plugs instead of trying to pull them, you can often get them to free up one way or the other.

good luck!

Being an aluminum head there shouldn't be any rust holding them in. I would use a well fitting spark plug socket and a little more effort:wink2: Remember left loose right tight.

I got them to budge 2-3° last night then added more PB blaster. I’ll try again tonight and maybe drizzle a little ATF in the mix if they dont come out.

Partial success/failure. I got the right side plug to work loose, what a great feeling!

Attachments

• 2013-11-07_spark free WEb pic.jpg
    2013-11-07_spark free WEb pic.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 374
The other side was not such a success. It felt the same as the other side while I was working the plug back and forth until I heard a “crunch” :banghead: . The threaded portion is still in the head; my concern is that anything I do to remove the remains with the head still on the engine could damage the head or drop metal into the cylinder. I suspect I can still get the remains free with the head off, looks like a valve job is in the near future. I’ll be referencing member jctanner’s thread while doing the work.

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5482

Attachments

• 2013-11-07_spark broke 1 Web pic.jpg
    2013-11-07_spark broke 1 Web pic.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 338
An e-z out should take care of it. You can find them at most auto parts store.

heat the plug? i wouldn't do that, you don't want the plug to expand with the heat. you could try spraying electrical contact cleaner on the plug as it is cold. i would let it soak for a couple of days in wd40 first though.

I tried with an easy out as much as I was comfortable; it's a good Snapon one too which is more reason for me to be careful. I've had one snap off and it's about impossible to drill the hardened metal they are made of. I'm also concerned about damaging the threads. I might give it one more attempt; I have some of this on order;

http://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Freezing-Penetrant-Lubricant/dp/B00ACTMZOI

I figure that if I heat the head and freeze the plug, maybe it will work. If not, then the head is coming off!

Yep! thats the way. Heat whatever its stuck in or freeze whatever is stuck!
I have been told that a really good quality masonry bit of the right size will remove a snapped of drill/ezyout.

Bman66,

I have never heard of using a masonry bit to remove drill hardened steel but it makes sense, and a 5 minute internet search seems to confirm it. I'm not to that point yet on the XS but I do have an old quad that has a broken ez out in it. It seems the trick is to use a drill press to get plenty of pressure on the masonry bit. I might try it at some point.

Cheers!

Is the part of the plug that you can get a socket on still in the head?Get some map gas heat the sob till its red.If that don't get it out then your going have to remove the head and take it to a machine shop.

Alright team, I decided to go with a CB350 for a track bike so this got parked. I finished several other projects and freed up the bench for a little while so I'm back at it with the XS. Still no joy getting the plug out after heat and cold and easy outs and plenty of cussing.

Attachments

• IMG_2781.jpg
    IMG_2781.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 324
The pistons are still seized too so I'm pulling the head to remove the broken plug and see how it looks inside. Things were going well until it came time to remove the cam gear, can't rotate the engine to get at the second bolt... I got to this point and ran out of time for the night, I'll see if I can get enough slack in the chain to hop the teeth and rotate the cam. Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• 20140528_194216.jpg
    20140528_194216.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 328
Mix Automatic Transmission Fluid and Acetone 1:1 and pour into cylinders via spark plug holes. Let soak for a day and then try to turn the engine using a socket and bar on the alternator. Gently rock it back and forth until the pistons break free.

Remove the cam chain tension unit and then the guides. That will give you a lot more slack in the chain.

Back