81 xs400 shifting issues

Face

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have an 81 xs400 that I got back on the road for 2 days before it got stuck in 4th gear. Opened up the gearbox and found the screw that holds the (pardon my lingo I don't have the manual in front of me) shift plate on was loose and bent which was hindering my shifts. I replaced the screw and now I think I've put it back together wrong. I can't get my shifts to engage, I'll try to post pics/videos. I've read through many forums and got some helpful info, but can anyone let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_20161214_174905.jpg
    IMG_20161214_174905.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 530
Hey all, I have an 81 xs400 that I got back on the road for 2 days before it got stuck in 4th gear. Opened up the gearbox and found the screw that holds the (pardon my lingo I don't have the manual in front of me) shift plate on was loose and bent which was hindering my shifts. I replaced the screw and now I think I've put it back together wrong. I can't get my shifts to engage, I'll try to post pics/videos. I've read through many forums and got some helpful info, but can anyone let me know what I'm doing wrong?

You have a few broken and missing bits. http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/?gclid=CMXHxM6S99ACFUZWDQodaPsEHw This site is good for looking up parts and where they go.
View attachment 28092
Thanks for the reply, I have the centralizer screw, washer and nut, as well as the circlip, I had just removed them because I had been taking the gear change mechanism off and putting it back on so many times. I'm guessing the gear change drum is out of position right now, I've now got it in neutral also

If it doesn't go into gear at all even if you rock the trans or rear wheel I would also check the upper and lower clutch adjustments. If you look in the manual under this section it states that you may need to split the engine cases and inspect the shift forks for damage or other issues.

Thanks, I'm at the bike now. Here's a new video. I'm going to assume something inside has broken as I was running very lean and was idling high (3500rpms) and the engine was running hotter than usual before I got stuck in 4th. Time to pull the engine and do a proper tear down. It is winter and there's snow on the ground after all. Thanks for the direction xschris!

This is how one of my spare motors is assembled. Your claws look to be too far forward. Also your missing a guide.

DSC03168.JPG

So it's been a few months, and it's been a slow process, but i've got my engine completely apart now. While i wait for some piston rings, and gasket kit to show up i decided to strip the frame and get it ready for powdercoating and change a few things. it seemed like it was an opportune time as i have been stuck on the shifting issues for a while (still am lol). But i've got the engine and tranny apart, and will soon begin the slow process of putting it back together. i'm including a few pics of the process up until now, and will probably post some videos that show my re-assembly of the bike i have aptly named Bucket. With the engine and transmission almost entirely apart, the transmission gear shifter would not turn. i'm not 100 percent certain on this, but with the engine entirely apart, and no gears/clutch to contend with, i would suspect that it should turn freely by hand when i rotate it? The first image is a picture of the gear shifter drum and forks i saved from ebay, as part of me would like to just replace the whole assembly (but i will try to reassemble, and track down diagrams with proper orientations). I'll be back home from work on Monday night, so i will begin working on this again on Tuesday, and hope to make some progress. will definitely be using the search bar and asking some dumb questions on here throughout the process though. I've started looking for a spare motor though, as summer is fast approaching, and it would be nice to either have something in running condition on the bike, or the spare parts i need right beside me.
32452435.jpg
Here's a photo of her stripped down.
Screenshot_20170401-113315.jpg

Engine Disassembly
Screenshot_20170401-113458.jpg

I learned the hard way not to remove the rotor with bearing pullers, the manual says you can, but never ever ever do it. now i get to source a replacement rotor lol.
IMG-20170331-WA0033.jpg

Screenshot_20170401-113428.jpg

seat hoop, welded in,
Screenshot_20170401-113528.jpg

Thinking i won't bend the seat up to match the profile of the skateboard, but i may change my mind... thoughts?
Screenshot_20170401-113644.jpg

cutting up a nice dense yoga mat, somewhat comfortable, but may try to find a softer pad for the top pad to make it a little more comfortable before upholstery
Screenshot_20170401-113543.jpg

I learned the hard way not to remove the rotor with bearing pullers, the manual says you can, but never ever ever do it. now i get to source a replacement rotor lol.
Yeah, the simpler single-bolt style rotor remover tool is much safer for the bike.
Did you try to remove it with the retention bolt still in the middle?

Yeah, the simpler single-bolt style rotor remover tool is much safer for the bike.
Did you try to remove it with the retention bolt still in the middle?
i tried a few different ways, and using the retention bolt threaded in loosely i believe was what i ended up doing. struggled for an hour, pullers slipped, stripped some of the aluminum from the rotor, put the pullers back on to try again, no luck, left them on and drove 45 minutes in traffic each way to the yamaha shop to pick up the single bolt style remover tool, and grabbed the pullers to remove them from the rotor and the rotor slid off. it was all pretty funny. i guess having the tension on the rotor for that long free'd it up more than me using the puller to get tension on it and smacking it with a mallet...

Just a little update. Got the remainder of the frame disassembled, seat hoop finished, and dropped off for sandblasting and powdercoating.

picked up my ebay transmission parts from the states and started assembling the tranny.

now i'm back at work for a week, and hope to receive my gasket kit, and new piston rings when i'm back next week and finish rebuilding the engine.

I also have the yamabond for when i assemble the case.

i'm curious as to what greases/lubes i should pick up for applying to gears etc when i put the engine back together. (if this is in the manual feel free to tell me to check the manual).

20170408_111142.jpg
IMG_20170405_162318_102.jpg
IMG_20170407_153638.jpg

one more thing... when i was removing my gearchange drum, i noticed that my detent plunger was broken. the cap that slid over the spring was cracked, and it was not sitting right at all.

does anyone think this could have anything to do with me not being able to shift gears? i lucked out, because the transmission i ordered off of ebay came with a detent plunger! saying i was thrilled to see that is an understatement! i understand that the engine needs to be assembled in order for the gearchange drum to spin, so i'm going to have to put it all together and hope for the best, because i really can't see anything else wrong in there.

thanks for any input, you guys are all way more experienced than I!

Hey @Face , ever solve that gear change issue?

I have a similar problem … when i use the left foot gear shifter, there is no engagement with the gear change shaft. It's like the shift pawls (on the right side) don't want to 'click' into position on the gearchange drum/Shift Cam (the thing with multiple horizontal rods that the pawls grab onto).

Last edited:
Back