Cant shift gears

AR-94

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Got bike ride worthy only to realize I cant shift gears. Reinstalled sprocket cover and the kickstarter no longer worked. Realizing that it was tied to the clutch I rolled bike back and forth until I got into first gear at which point the kickstarter worked again. This makes me think the clutch is not engaging but for the life of me I cannot figure out why. Any help is appreciated.

The bike needs to be in neutral to kick start. The kick start will not engage if you have the clutch pulled.

Actually, the kick start will always engage the secondary shaft and turn it. The secondary shaft is connected to the clutch so if you pull the clutch in, it will disengage from the main shaft which is directly connected to the crank.

The kick start has its own shaft and is independent of the transmission until you engage a kickstart. The assembly is a Bendix gear, its the same type of setup that you will find on most starters where the gear pushes out when its activated and engages the engine/trans.

Ive never had kickstart issues but they pop up here from time to time. Its mostly from to improper installation. The shaft goes in a certain way and theres a heavy sprin that needs to be wound up before it goes in its place.

Its possible the case could be damaged too. The kickstart doesnt have the strongest supports built around it and it can crack off.

image2.jpeg image0.jpeg image1.jpeg

Back