82 Maxim swingarm pivot - the $200 question!

16VGTIDave

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi folks,

As some of you may remember, I had a heck of a time getting the swingarm out of my bike. The pivot bolt was seized and I had to drill the head and shank off the bolt to remove the swingarm. :banghead: Once I had it all in pieces, I made a list of all the parts I'd need to get it back together. Finding used but good parts has proven fruitless. Some new parts are available and they will cost me about $200. That seems rather expensive, to me anyways. :mad:

I stopped in to a motorcycle salvage shop today, and after some discussion was offered a frame and swingarm assembly from a 2006 Kawasaki with low mileage for $200 + taxes. The frame can't be used on a street bike as it has been branded a wreck. The swingarm appears to be roughly the right size to be compatible with the Maxim frame. I'd have to cut the shock mounts off the Kawi frame and weld them into my frame. I'd also have to weld a bracket onto the Kawi swingarm for the drum brake support brace, or fabricate some other way of locating the brace. And get a new chain and a chain guard. And whatever else crops up. :shrug:

My initial thought is to keep looking for a less expensive solution. Either have bushings made for the stock swingarm, or find a less expensive replacement swingarm/monoshock. I'd be pleased if I could increase the suspension travel since I am working towards making this bike into an adventure touring rig in addition to it's commuting duties.

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions!

I have the same bike and am looking for a dual shock swingarm. If I can find one I'll sell you my stock swingarm, shock and bolts for cheap.

I would keep looking that seem like a bunch of work to chop all that stuff up.

I dont understand why it would cost so much. Buy a used swingarm off ebay and buy a big bolt. Thats all it is right? What other parts do you need?

Most of the parts I've found on eBay are in just as bad condition as mine. I'm either going to fix it properly, or I'm not putting it back together. I estimate that I'll be clocking 20,000 km this year. I can't afford to have a wobbly swingarm burning up tires, chains and sprockets. Never mind having a bike that handles like over-cooked pasta...

Bearings 2 @ $26/ea.
Spacer $80
Bolt $25
Shipping, duties, taxes $55

Those are the best prices I've found so far, and why I'm looking for other options. If I don't find another option, I'm going to have to pay if I want to be riding. And I WANT to be riding!

UUUghhh I always forget how much it is to ship to canada. Wow I would have never guessed the spacer to be $80. Thats pretty steep. Another option is search for an xs. Im not sure how it is in ontario, but I could find one here pretty quick if I needed to.

A solution is in progress - I decided to go with the 2006 Ninja 250R rear suspension. The bike had just over 1000 miles on it when it was wrecked. The parts are all shiny and new looking! The swingarm is slightly longer than stock, I'll need some spacers for the wheel, and I have to do some welding for shock mounts. But 5" of travel and available parts settled it for me. All for the price of replacing the stock parts. Cash makes for good deals. ;)

Back