82' XS250 Not cranking, where to start?

AnzacPaul

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

had the XS sitting under a tarp for about 8 weeks, figured it would of been the battery when I tried to start it and got nothing. Multimeter is showing the battery at about 12.35 drops to about 12.2 when hitting the starter button. When I hit the run/off switch I can hear a solenoid click somewhere, however pressing the starter button I get nothing no crank at all, the "dash" lights dim a bit however so I think the button itself is working.

Is there any way to test the starter, or any other idea on why it might not be starting?

Thanks,

Paul.

Sounds like the starter solenoid isn't activating. Check the fuse box and make sure all the connections are good. Flip the kill switch off and on a couple of times to work the contacts in it. Operate the starter button a few times with the key off to work it's contacts. Make sure the neutral light is lit when the key is on and try starting it. The solenoid is beside the battery, and it should clunk when the starter button is pressed and the starter should engage. If it doesn't, you will have to run through the trouble shooting portion of the manual - Chapter 6-6.

Sounds like the starter solenoid isn't activating. The solenoid is beside the battery, and it should clunk when the starter button is pressed and the starter should engage. If it doesn't, you will have to run through the trouble shooting portion of the manual - Chapter 6-6.

Thanks Dave, I could hear the faintest click coming from the solenoid when pressing it, so I gave it a light tap on the bottom with a hammer, fired up first crank!!!!

Back