a big hello from Ontario, Canada

Bull85

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
well found this forum a few months ago, when I was looking for a XS 400. been reading lots, and taking it all in before my purchase. yesterday was the day, when I finally found the right one (and right previous owner) and forked over the $$

I got a 1982 XS400 heritage special. (first bike)
I am excited to clean her up a bit, and work on a few things.
mostly everything is in great shape. need to charge up to really see. running on 1 cylinder, messy carb, needs new exhaust, starter clutch. for sure issues!

going to dig in today, and next few days to do a thorough once over, and cleaning.

will most likely have questions, so you may see my name around.
Cant wait for all the fun.
will post some pics later on
Thanks everyone

here is a pic, after the bath!
running on both cylinders now. carbs cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned again. plugs, wires. and charged . but think I will need new Batt.
going to do some reading on the whole charging system....... still a little vague/naieve on that...... had it running around all afternoon and was dead after tinkering a bit after cool down....... HMMMMM
messed with the abomination of muffler tape/goo that someone did. cleaned, polished adjusted the inner (gasket???) (metal ring???) and closed up the leak that they tried to tape up........ cleaning and adjusting all it took. still want new pipes over winter.

new manifold boots on order, and valves need adjustment. but very pleased with the beginning of this project. blew me away how smooth it rode, for what I got it for.

still need starter clutch, Tires, and minor things. but that is all for winter.

Question: does it need to start electrically for a safety in Ontario?

anyway thanks for the welcome, look forward to the fun!:thumbsup:
HAPPY NEW XS400 OWNER HERE (for now!! HA)

Attachments

• RICH BIKE.jpg
    RICH BIKE.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 337
thanks smurfy! I should be ok in the safety after reading that. I was sure it would be more in depth than that. I was not even considering going for safety till todays break throughs. my winter project may have turned into a fall rider/ winter improvement!
good read, thanks!

my list of things to do has grown a little. once I dig in a little, but that's ok, I have decided to put off the engine pull till next year as it runs well, and will let me get a year to find any issues. so I did a quick paint job on it, till I tear down. came out not half bad either. been cleaning like a mad man over the last week or so.......but it is coming along.

Attachments

• 20140803_173507.jpg
    20140803_173507.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 321
  • 20140803_173534.jpg
    20140803_173534.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 306
Back