Accidently bought an XS400 (No offense)

ggg2121

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, last summer I "thought" I bought a 1978 xs650. Turns out since I
didn't know a lot about these older yamahas besides knowing I wanted an
xs650 to chop, that I bought an xs400 by mistake. Clearly the guy selling
it didn't know either even though he had about 100 motorcycles at his
house. So now what I'm trying to figure out if there are any premade hardtail kits or longer forks for these bikes. Can you make the xs650 stuff work? I may still chop it since it's in my garage now but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

Welcome to the forum...and to XS400 ownership, I guess. I'm not a chop kind of guy, but if you take some time to look around here, you will find some very nice chops. You may well find that the XS400 as a chopper works well.

That being said, I'd like to add an XS650 to my stable.

I chopped an XS400, and I think it is just fine. I built my own hardtail from DOM tubing, but there are both universal kits and the one mentioned above. I did not extend the forks, but dropping the rear and extended the frame about 5".

The three top tubes can make it challenging to find a tank that looks good, but I had no problem with that. There are wiring diagrams and lots of other info specific to these bikes, so I had not problem building mine.

And no, from everything I have learned, XS650 stuff is not interchangeable. But everyone has a 650.

Back