Adjustment

As far as I know, to adjust the clutch:

1. Loosen the adjuster at the clutch lever all the way (so the adjuster nut is right up against the lever).
2. Pop the black clutch adjuster cover off (the one at the motor).
3. Loosen the locknut.
4. Turn the adjuster in until you feel resistance, then back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn.
5. Tighten the locknut.
6. Adjust the lever adjuster till there is 2-3 mm of free play at the lever.

The problem I have is at step 3.When I try to loosen the locknut, I cant get it to loosen, it just kind of pushes in a bit and I dont go any further cause Im afraid Im gonna break something.

I did mine yesterday and she shifts great. No more problems finding neutral. I'm not sure what you mean by "pushing in", but when I loosened the nut it kind of had slack where it rolled back and pushed the clutch cable out of the housing a bit. Just keep wrenching it, it'll bottom out & break loose.

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10687&page=3

Early in this posting, was a print of the manual for doing this job, and it starts with the bottom clutch adjustment. Then by page three, I took some photos of the bottom clutch adjustment. I didn't see if the key words are on the other posting, but just about everything you wanna know is here, and even fresh and hot. I suppose the only other thing we could do is make this into a How To, and post it in the Tech section, with the re-wire, and stuff like that. So always use key words, so its keeps things easy for the next new bike buyer with issues.

Back