aftermarket brake levers dont have a slot for brake switch

infafscottlio

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I decided i wanted to go with some shorty brake levers on my 80 and forgot to check if they were compatible with my stock front brake switch before ordering. A few months back, after tons of googleing, i found a site that sold the exact brake levers i have had for a while, but the perch had a slot for the brake switch to slip into. this would all be fine if i had bought them at that moment, but now the site is shut down and i can't for the life of me find any other place that sells them with a switch slot on the perch. Has anyone else here switched out their levers for aftermarket ones and still been able to use their stock front brake switch? if not, does anyone know of any other way to allow for a switch to be engaged when using the front brake? (i know the aftermarket rear brake switches are really common but i can't figure out what to do with the front). So as of right now my issue is that the brake light is constantly on since the switch thinks the brake is engaged. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Hi, my first ever post :thumbsup:

Does your bike have a hydraulic front break? I know silly question but I only got my
XS250 the other day and I need to get up to speed with all the models and what not :D

If so you could get a Good-ridge banjo bolt switch.

I did this on my ER6n when I replaced my rear sets and there was no where to mount the break switch.

Hope that helps at all?

Last edited:
my '80 actually has drum brakes all around, if im not mistaken, the '80s with wire wheels had drum brakes and those with mag wheels had disk brakes, or at least that was the trend I've noticed when researching and looking at other '80s over the past year.

Back