Aftermarket brake master cylinder - any good?

Gra900

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I just bought an in progress project which has an aftermarket brake and clutch. Now these retail at around £20, which seems very cheap for something your life could depend on. Has anyone got any advice on this? What experience have you got on them?
See picture for a similar one on eBay

Attachments

• E4164EFB-E235-4DFE-95EA-097308FDFF49.png
    E4164EFB-E235-4DFE-95EA-097308FDFF49.png
    703.5 KB · Views: 205
As far as quality goes I can't say for sure how good they are.
I have learned a lot about brakes over the years. If your using the stock caliper, then the stock M/C was a 14mm bore size. This worked but not as good as it could.
I have found that going to a smaller bore size improves braking power and lever feel.
A lot of those Chinese M/C's have a 12.7 mm bore size which is a good improvement in braking.
I have been looking for a set like those pictured but with the reservoir as part of the body, not up on a stem like that one. Looks a bit cleaner on the bars.
I have a dual disc set up and want the 12.7 bore size for that. One about 11 mm bore would be better for a single disc.
I want one of those two.
One thing I like about Yamaha M/C's is the adjustable levers. A lot of the cheap M/C's use a lever set up like Honda and no adjustment.
The kits that have adjustable levers on both the M/C and clutch are something I might like.
Leo

Hi Leo
I sure agree that the integral reservoir looks way neater. I just been trying it out on the bars and 1) it looks scrappy and 2) there’s more joints in the hose to keep sealed and stop moisture getting in
So looks like it’s going onto Ebay
Thanks for the advice on cylinder diameter, 11mm sounds good and others on the forum also say so

Back