Aggh.......... dropped bolt into engine

Fentible

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi

New guy on here busy renovating a 1980 UK spec XS400 custom.

Its stood a while and Im busy replacing the head gasket and here's the rub, ive dropped one of the cam chain tensioner bolts down into the engine. Rebuilt countless engines and never done that. Oh well first time for everything.

Can it be fished out from the plate at the bottom of the engine or am I looking at an engine strip which I really want to avoid??

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Fent

Cheers Pork chop

Ive got one of the magnetic tools that looks like an old extendable car ariel, took the barrels off but I still can't fish it out.

I can't believe Im not hitting it, I had the cam chain tensioner blades out and the cam chain hanging centrally from the frame in preparation for removing the head when the bolt rolled in. It would have rolled down the rear run of the cam chain and I almost caught it as it set off so Im certain it must have dropped almost straight down.

Ive fished down the cam chain tunnel and back of each con rod but so far to no avail. I also can't see it jammed anywhere. It might be I'll fare better with the flexible tool, I'm certainly going to give it a try. I really dont want to have to take the engine out and try and shake it out or worse split the crank case. :(

Cheers

Fent

Isn't the Oil Sump filter under that section? Could you undo all 6 or so of those bolts, and It might be there? my experience on this one is 0%, I have yet to take my head stuff off. If its still on the frame, get the wifes mirror that has the magnification. Shine a light on to the mirror, see if that helps If its stuck on top easy find, if slid down to the bottom, may its trapped in the filter sump screen. Jimmy the cam chain?

good luck
Tobie

there's a baffle plate under the crank, bet it under there.

might be able to get it by rotating the engine

I dont know if I would rotate the engine,It might move the bolt in harder place to get to,best bet as mentioned is get a flex magnet and go fishing.Cross your fingers and hope you can get it.Good luck.

Any updates?If you havent got the bolt out yet take your oil filter off and go through the hole with a flex magnet hopefully you`ll be able to fish out.

Sorry guys forgot to come back and update. Flexi tool that Pork chop recommended worked, although I fished around for quite a while.
I was on the point of giving up and resigning myself to splitting the crankcases when I felt a clunk and managed to pull the bolt back up.............:D

However that was nothing compared with removing the remains of the barrels base gasket, even the spray on remover didn't touch it!!

Ive had to source a rear mudguard (fender) from the states as the orignal had totally rotted away. Got a beauty for $15 ($64 shipping!!) Only thing is the number-plate lamp backet is totally diffferent on the UK spec bikes and I had to drill a few extra holes. Fortunately the existing bracket covers the holes left for the US spec lamp holder so Im well chuffed. Will post a few photos when I get a chance.

Thanks again for the help.

Fent

Yesterday I thought I dropped a feeler guage inside in my engine.I heard it drop sound like it hit metal somewhere and it was going down.I looked on the floor everywhere and even took a flash light and look inside the tapped hole.Thought well just maybe it fell in the oil pan underneith my bike.Sure enough found it what a releief cause noway was I about to remove the entire valve cover.

Sorry guys forgot to come back and update. Flexi tool that Pork chop recommended worked, although I fished around for quite a while.
I was on the point of giving up and resigning myself to splitting the crankcases when I felt a clunk and managed to pull the bolt back up.............:D

However that was nothing compared with removing the remains of the barrels base gasket, even the spray on remover didn't touch it!!

Ive had to source a rear mudguard (fender) from the states as the orignal had totally rotted away. Got a beauty for $15 ($64 shipping!!) Only thing is the number-plate lamp backet is totally diffferent on the UK spec bikes and I had to drill a few extra holes. Fortunately the existing bracket covers the holes left for the US spec lamp holder so Im well chuffed. Will post a few photos when I get a chance.

Thanks again for the help.

Fent

Yeah, those flexy magnetic tools are the ducks nuts. :thumbsup:

Back