Air Filter

TomFX4

Beginning Rider
Reaction score
I bought a 1982 XS400 Special. It was in pretty rough shape. I pulled the air filters out, and they were original. Needless to say, very very rough shape. Most of the foam was gone, and inside the carb. So I'm looking at filter options. I could go OEM, or what the parts store locally has. It fits onto the filter to carb hoses. But will it fit behind the side plate on the bike, is the question! Has anyone used a filter this style before?

x4jkes.jpg

Those are crap!!! Go with the oem ones as they will work the best. Yamaha still has them and they can be found on ebay and mikesxs.net. Welecome to thew forum. Post some pics of the bike, we love pics.

Don't buy those x2.

My bike had those installed when I bought it and I just spent the last two weeks trying replace them. My left filter literally popped off my bike while riding (it was tight too). I back tracked and found it on the street and reinstalled it. Two days later my right filter broke in half where the filter material meets the chrome ring.

I just installed my 2-stage Uni's and am feeling a lot happier about it!

I'm not so much looking for performance, but for reliability. I live in a farming area, and will be around dust often. This bike will be my daily driver when weather permits. I'll be around the forums often. This is my first bike in general, other than a YZ250F. I'll get some pictures up after while! I keep my bike in a heated basement. It gets better treatment than my truck!

How is the Uni filter? I know someone who runs them on a performance ATV and he likes them. But I'm new to this world, so I'm unsure what direction to go!

How is the Uni filter? I know someone who runs them on a performance ATV and he likes them. But I'm new to this world, so I'm unsure what direction to go!

I am very new to the UNI filter. So far all I can say is fitment is great. As for tuning, it is close as is, but I have other issues to iron out as far as carbs go...

I don't know anything about carbs. So I'm a little weary messing with them. I've cleaned them. Stripped a screw out on one. I've got a screw in it, but it isn't the same as others. I need to get a new screw set. I know they need rebuilt.

But anyways, back to topic. Will the carbs need to be tuned if I go to anything other than oem.

Back