Air Filters

I bought a set that looks identical (but ordered from a local shop) and when I went to install the one, the mount busted. They're a lot cheaper than the Yamaha ones in price and quality.

how'd you break the filter mount? should be steel strapping that goes over the filter boxes. hell mine are held on just by the clamp on the neck, lol.

If you want the right parts you have to buy yamaha stuff it does cost more but is made much better. Stuff for the xs400 is drying up fast and getting very costly.

I have a 77' XS400, what aftermarket Air Pod should I get? K&N, UNI? Please include part number, and what are issues I am going to face? Thanks Guys...

I got 15* angles UNI pod filters from bikebandit for 30bucks shipped to my door, great filters with a two piece design that is easy to clean
@ahale: did you have to rejet your carbs when you put the uni pods on?? I want to put pod filters on the my 82 ...

if you goto pods (and it's the only change you make) you *should* go up at least 1 probably 2 jet sizes on the main/air jets. these bikes run pretty lean as it is, and pods allow alot more air than stock in.

your milage may vary though. i'd suggest buying a spread of jets when you put pods on, start at 2 +, and then adjust to comfort.

Have UNI ones and because they are not offset by 15 degrees, the pods hit the battery box? Should I grind down the side of the box and try to get them to fit?

what I recently found with my aftermarket air filters was that I had to turn the air mixture screw out 4.5 - 5 turns for the bike to run well.

Back