New foam air filter

newclind

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a question about installing a new foam into the box filter. I have cleaned out the old original foam and scraped the glue residue on the sides.

My question is do I have to glue on the new foam filter?

Also, do I oil the UNI foam or not? On the service manual, it says it shouldn't be oily.

upload_2023-10-10_16-8-7.png

Welcome to the forum!

I also cleaned out the crumbling foam of the original filters and installed new UNI foam in the original frames. I did glue the foam in at the edges using some contact cement. UNI foam does need to be oiled. The original foam has some sort of fine, fuzzy material on the outside of the foam, so that is why the manual states to not oil the original equipment filters. The UNI foam does not have the fine fuzz, so oil will be needed and maintenance will be to clean the oil and dirt off and re-oil the foam every so often.

Welcome to the forum!

I also cleaned out the crumbling foam of the original filters and installed new UNI foam in the original frames. I did glue the foam in at the edges using some contact cement. UNI foam does need to be oiled. The original foam has some sort of fine, fuzzy material on the outside of the foam, so that is why the manual states to not oil the original equipment filters. The UNI foam does not have the fine fuzz, so oil will be needed and maintenance will be to clean the oil and dirt off and re-oil the foam every so often.

I've oiled it and my engine started. I am pretty happy about it since I never worked on motorcycles or carburetors before. Now I need to fix the front brakes and instruments to start riding.

Bonjour,

J'ai rencontré une situation similaire où un problème de filtre était causé par un excès de graisse. La quantité de graisse était telle que je ne savais pas d'où elle venait. J'ai contacté un professionnel qui m'a recommandé d'utiliser un dégraissant . Après l'avoir essayé, le résultat était excellent. Quelqu'un at-il déjà été confronté à ce problème.

Franjelle

Last edited:
J'ai rencontré une situation similaire où un problème de filtre était causé par un excès de graisse.

My translation may not be correct, but don't use grease on the foam filter, only filter oil specifically made for air filters, like UNI Foam Filter Oil.

I haven't seen where too much oil on the foam causes problems, but I have always only used enough filter oil to just coat all of the foam and use my hands to distribute it throughout. Any excess gets soaked up with a rag.

Back