all right

allans

XS400 Member
Reaction score
HI ALL FROM SCOTLAND
STUMBLED ACROSS THIS SITE BY ACCIDENT A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO HAVE BEEN ON IN THE BACKGROUND READING BITS AND BOBS OFF PEOPLES WORK, AND THIS FORUM SEEMS A FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL SITE TO BE ON.

IV BUILT ALOT OF BIKES OVER THE YEARS FROM CHOPS TO BOBBERS TO RACERS
BUT DUE TO ACCIDENT IM NOW STUCK IN A WHEEL CHAIR
SO NOW NEED TO THINK THREE WHEELS RATHER THAN TWO I WAS GIVEN AN OLD XS400 WHICH WAS BASICALLY A SIEZED ENGINE AND A FRAME AND TANK
SO TO GIVE ME SOMETHING TODO IM GOING TO TRIKE IT
THE STYLE OF FRAME AND HOW I WANT IT TOO LOOK IS IN MY HEAD NOW JUST NEED TO GET IT FROM MY HEAD TO METAL

IN THE UK TO PUT IT ON THE ROAD IT HAS TOGO UP FOR A INSPECTION BEFORE IT GOES ON THE ROAD SO I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THIS GOES WHEN IT HAPPENS DONT KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO OVER THERE BUT WOULD BE INTERESTED TO COMPARE THE DIFFERENCES

FIRST JOB IS TOO STRIP AND REFURBISH THE ENGINE IM IN AND OUT OF HOSPITAL ALOT JUST NOW SO CANT PUT A TIME LIMIT ON IT
WELL THATS ABOUT ME
AL:thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum allans. Looking forward to yer build. Wha year xs400 do you have?

I really dont know for certain what makes you legal here in CA. Turn signals , lights, mirror? The CHP or CA Highway Patrol is the agency that inspects bikes. The officer came out to the truck, looked at the bike and mainly checked that the numbers matched? DMV aswell ( Dept. of Motor Vehichles). I had to go to Yamaha HQ and get a letter saying the bike met all 'C.A.R.B.' requirements for the 'Y.O.M' year of manufacture related to emmissions. Ugh!! Hoops to jump through.
Good luck with yer engine strip down and looking forward to the progress!

Thanks for the welcome here in uk to goto the ministry it is called here any frame alteration at all is meant togo to for full vehicle inspection if it is getting triked but if you use a bolt on swinging arm and nothing has been added or removed from the frame the just want to see if the engine and frame number match with the registration book
if you are building a chop or any alterations to the frame but are keeping it on two wheels for some reason no notification is needed
lucky me i need to get the full inspection but a long while for that
the 400 being used is more for the weight more than anything and i hate anything getting chucked away as scrap
as this was what was happening to this one
al

Indeed, welcome Laddie!
Your perception of the folks on here is correct from my perspective. They have been wonderful any time I have asked a dumb question. One guy even laughed at one of my jokes once.

Sorry to hear about your accident and all that dealing with it will entail. Glad to see there's plenty of the stubborn Scottish spirit to have you thinking 3 wheels. Before you start actually cutting, you might want to study the rig which I saw an old gentleman using. He paid for one ready-made, but if you have the skills to turn an xs400 into a trike, you could likely build one of these from scratch - and then you could still loan it out as a 2-wheeler (or sell it intact) when you weren't using it.

Attachments

• scott lion.jpg
    scott lion.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 264
I posted this some time back. looks like change at the swing arm is a good start?

thanks for the photo looks good with the atv axle

over here we use a reliant robin axle which is the most common a Reliant Robin Mk I (750)

i dont know if the picture has posted these are the easiest to use as are really great for diff ratio's and adaptability
and the one i need has to be adapted to take a chain which luckily they have two types and one is rather straight forward to change into a chain drive
as for jig i bought a headstock jig off travis a month or so ago but have now decided togo for the full jig from him the rotesarrie mounts will make it so much easier for me to weld
so will keep you up to date with my progress
thanks for the welcome

The only Reliant Robin I know of is the one that kept flipping over on Top Gear :laugh:
Sounds like you know exactly what you're doing and know how to get there. The battle is half over, congrats!

I remember seeing a picture several years ago of a guy in a wheelchair riding a Harley. It was more of a sidecar unit than a trike. He wheeled the wheelchair into the sidcar platform and locked it down. There was a gear on top of the tripple clamp and a chain running from it to a gear and handlebar mounted in front of him. I always thought it was an ingenious way around his situation.

welcome Allans, what's wrong with a robin Reliant? I had one for 6 months, 80 mph alloy engine.

No cool factor what-so-ever :laugh:

I would say ATV axle would be the ideal as too much weigh will tax the engine too much

Back