another XS 400 Bratstyle build

This is the front seatpan mount, the threaded rod is welded by 135° to the flat stock.
Screws will be replaced with rivets, this was just for the mock-up.
I shortened the original tank mounting bung to the point where there was no thread left so that my seatpan mount goes straight through the hole and is secured with a winged nut. I guess I'll ad some extra rubber bushings to make it look a little more pro.

17880726gs.jpg

17880727kj.jpg

Ignition lock found it's place in the electrics tray. The tray is mounted using the original tabs and the rubber grommets that used to keep the battery box in place. I will use the rear left tab to connect mass with the frame.
The box will hold a small batterie and a fuse carrier and should still offer enough room for the cable connections.

17880730mz.jpg

Last edited:
Again it's been a while since I made progress on my own bike. Meanwhile we finished up a friends XS 650 in my garage but today I startet building my sissybar/fenderstrut.
Took some 12mm roundstock to a friends shop who has a better torch and startet heating/bending.
After I'm back from http://www.kustom-kulture-forever.com/ this weekend, I'll start bending the rest of the roundstock along the fender and add tabs to mount everything together.
Here's a quick mock up
18356766of.jpg

now all bending is done and I will shape some tabs that will be welded to the struts to hold the fender and to mount the struts to the frame
18431253st.jpg

I practiced my welding skills to the point where I was able to weld on the tabs on the sissybar.
Today I got the stuff back from powdercoating

19836138ie.jpg

19836139cg.jpg

19836140iw.jpg

I hope that all the wires and connections will fit into the box :shrug:

Looks good. Make sure there is plenty of ventilation in that battery box or you will fry components.

Again there was only little progress on my own bike.
Right now I'm waiting for a friend to finish my frisco style gas tank that will mount with no tunnel to the upper tube. When he's done I can figure out where to put the coil mounts. The old ones were cracked due to too much vibration.
I finished the rear section, made a side mount plate holder and installed the muffler.

22877234vg.jpg

22877235tx.jpg

I just got the tank shell done. It was a lot of work and took plenty of practising, but it was worth it. It hold 7 liters, so I might get 120-150km out of it.

23326461fa.jpg

23326462it.jpg

I like the sporty tank, I have one on my project, but why did you put the petcock on the back? Seems like you are endangering your jewels.

Jim :cool:

It was neccessary that way.
The tank had 4cm [~1.8 inch) cut out to get a more frisco style look. Gas cap sits as high as possible, no tunnel at all and the petcock had to be as low as possible to get out as much of the little fuel that fits in.
There's close to no space for the petcock underneath the tank because of the upper frame tube, so I decided to place the petcock right at the back of the tank. That way I'll get to use almost every drop of fuel and it sits right above the carbs so the fuel hose will go through the gap in front of the original tank mount.
I'll solder a longer and slightly bent piece of copper pipe to the petcock. That way I'll have the fuel sight window and a working reserve lever.

Back