Anyone ever replaced the 10.5 ohm resistor in the voltage regulator?

Drewcifer

1976 XS 360 Maniac
Reaction score
I want to fix my voltage regulator. I can't find anyone with details that's done the napa aftermarket chrysler swap.

Has anyone replaced the 10.5 ohm resistor in their regulator? I'm thinking a wirewound one would be fine. Not sure about the watts I'd need.

Help?

Drew

I tried the VR125 model while chasing down a charging problem, and that worked pretty well. Grounded through the housing, and two cylindrical leads. I didn't stay with it since I didn't have any bullet type connectors for it.

Pics of the open regulator? Color bands give the value and size gives power rating, but I really doubt that a wire wound resistor would allow enough power.

well, the original regulator has a 10.5 ohm wirewound resistor mounted to the side. I wondered if a contemporary resistor will replace that old one since it's testing open circuit.

The only reason to choose a wire wound resistor is that they have a lower tolerance for error, but replacing it with a typical resistor should be fine if it's actual resistance is pretty close. You could probably even make a new wire wound resistor out of magnet wire.

I read that a wirewound resistor also has inductance properties. Since it's part of a voltage regulator, is that important? I'll post a picture of the inside of the voltage regulator. You'll understand then.

Do you have pics of how you connected your vr125?

thanks

Drew

I read that a wirewound resistor also has inductance properties. Since it's part of a voltage regulator, is that important? I'll post a picture of the inside of the voltage regulator. You'll understand then.

Do you have pics of how you connected your vr125?

thanks

Drew
You can buy a proper plug for the VR125. I think it is S573, it plugs right in. Might want to put a zip tie around the plug just to make sure it doesn't vibrate out.

We figured out that on my bike (1976 xs 360 with points) I'd need the r-292 regulator. Your bike is after 79, so it needs the vr125.

Cheers

Drewcifer
(won't matter anyway, I currently show a dead stator on my bike so I need to find out where it's all shorted out.

Back