Are valve seals relatively easy to seat?

DynaGlide

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never having done valve seals before I expected them to take some force to seat on my DOHC '82 Maxim. I read you can hear them click into place on some engines. Using the valve stem as a guide, oiled up seal, and a 11mm socket with extension as a driver (only contacts metal portion of seal), I didn't even feel them go on when tapping with a plastic hammer. On visual inspection with the valve out it appears they're seated against the top of the valve guides. Just looking for some confirmation.

they should be over the top of the guides.
inside the seal is a raised strip, this fits in the groove on the guide.

hope that helps

they should be over the top of the guides.
inside the seal is a raised strip, this fits in the groove on the guide.

hope that helps

I did note the raised strip and groove. My question was more along the lines of I was expecting to feel something give when seating the seal into the groove and I didn't get that. I started off gently tapping one of the seals, then I hit it pretty hard a couple times (only on the metal shell, not the garter spring). Then I took a caliper and measured from valve stem tip to top of seal and compared it to another and they were about the same. I think I'm okay I was just surprised how easily they went on.

Back