bad seals, big puddles

Rat Bastard

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Been building xs650s the last couple of years and just picked up a partial done brat style xs400 bobber. Pretty cool bike but leaves a lot of oil where ever it gets parked. Always changed the counter shaft, clutch shaft and shifter shaft seals on the 650s, Do the 400s also need the same seals changed? Which seals are the worst for leaking? There are several outlets for 650 parts on the net, are there any sites that sell new XS400 parts or do you need to go to Yamaha? Thanks !!

the worst seal for leaking is the clutch push rod seal! the output shaft seal is pretty good and have never see a leak there.
If you disturb the neutral switch, there is a red rubber O ring in there, but the problem with that is you cant put a lot of torque on the screw holding it ( it won't seal more anyway) as they are countersunk into plastic!

For some of the more oddball seals and gaskets you might need to find an oem dealer, but a standard "complete" engine gasket kit can generally be found aftermarket. Other than the standard motorcycle sites I do not know of any xs400-specific parts site.

I can't say I have had any leaks at all in my '78. It was in pretty rough shape when I bought it too. I also can't say I see a lot of posts on here about oil leaks either. Someone else will know better than me, however.

bikebandit.com
partsnmore.com
z1enterprises.com

Back